Controversial opinions on metal

the red in the sky is ours destroys slaughter of the soul.

This.

TRitSIO is easily and by far their best album. All their other albums are pretty meh to be honest.

Also, i'm kind of dumbfounded on how some people would think TRiTSO is boring when compared to a SotS, which is pretty much standard melodeath.... weird.

all that said, At the Gates has always been a pretty weak ass band.

I ain't saying anyone has to like 'em (and to be fair I only really like No Time to Bleed, Cleansing was paint-by-numbers deathcore and Black Crown is nu-core slop), but it just irks me when defend 'em and suddenly it's like my ability to enjoy underground shit is under question. Like it's IMPOSSIBLE to enjoy both.

Seems like you got a big chip on your shoulder bro.
You are getting a litte defensive there.

Nobody in any post of this conversation called your integrity out.
My beef is with the band, which I feel is boring, mediocre, massively overrated and even annoying.
And why would you even let my comments get to you?
Opinions are like assholes, we all have them.

The Red in the Sky is Ours is one of the few OSDM albums that I continue to appreciate with every listen and is infinitely better than the uber-monotony of SotS. That said, I don't think it's fair to call that one "standard melodeath" since it basically wrote the riff guidebook for most melodeath and metalcore bands to follow.

I actually blocked effigy a while back for having a gif in his signature. Crashed the site when I was on my mobile and six gifs appeared on a single page. should probably unblock him now.

Controversial opinion:

Slaughter of the Soul > all other At the Gates

The only thing I like about Slaughter of the Soul is it's awesome tone. I fell in love with this album in the past for a while only to realize that in the end all of the songs were rather formulaic and are somewhat straightforward and unrewarding/boring. The tone is great, but id much rather listen to something by Asphyx or Soilwork.

TRITSIO however is a solid piece of old school melodic death metal. The riffs are actually interesting, the songwriting is much more interesting and varied, and the vocals are much more emotive.

Speaking of controversial, has anyone heard the new Ghost yet? I just picked it up and am finally giving it a spin right now, and so far it seems somewhat mediocre. I should probably at least listen to the whole album before I form an opinion on it, but I just figured I would bring it up to see if anyone else has any thoughts about it.

Anyone heard it? :lol: I'm sure everyone on this board has heard it already, I really like it but that's just me. Another band that it just as popular to hate to fanboy, they get so much hate for not being "metal" its fucking stupid... Just enjoy the music.

Thats why I brought them up....

The first album was fresh and catchy, but this album just seems lacking to my ears. And what is this awful clipping I hear?

The idea of fucking a man doggystyle while pulling his head back by his muttonchops is actually pretty fascinating to me.

Slaughter of The Soul is a great album and for anyone it did not click with, well, Fuck You!.