Controversial opinions on metal

Im surprised at the negative opinions regarding Carcass. I can understand the disapproval of Reek of Putrefaction however; which even though for it's time it may have been fresh, ends up being one of the weaker Carcass albums with poor production and a straightforward death/grind approach that takes more from a simple punk approach and lacks the song structure seen later on. Innovative and influential for 1988 without a doubt, Reek of Putrefaction nonetheless remains my least favorite Carcass album (second to maybe Swansong). Symphonies of Sickness has improved upon the ideas in every way and is a much better album. It remains as one of the definitive death/grind albums imo.

Heartwork is definitely an outstanding melodic death metal album, but otherwise I agree with J. that their best material is found in Symphonies of Sickness and Necroticism.

@ Lateralus14 - I see your gripe, but continuous exposure to a vast catalog of different music will reveal where your preferences lie and is a time effective way of finding new music. Maybe there really is a hidden gem you have yet to uncover? If you listen to the same collection of albums you will never realize what you are missing. By utilizing the resources of our wonderful internet era you can expedite the process. There are also disadvantages of the modern era; music becomes subject to shallow and premature judgements, music doesnt have to be purchased to be heard (which hurts the artist), etc etc. In the long run I think passionate listeners will eventually develop unique personal preferences and have the variety of exposure to back it up. The main obstacle still (after all this time) comes down to the perceived social acceptance of one's likes and dislikes and what their preferences say about them, ala peer pressure. I dont think someone like SomeGuyDude is listening to a variety of music to improve his 'street cred', but EffigyForgotten(for good?) is clearly a poseur.

My favorite is Symphonies too. I'm curious about what they come up with on the new one.

My favorite is Symphonies too. I'm curious about what they come up with on the new one.

Yea man, I cant wait. I wonder if after 17 years of hiatus they will return with something relevant. Ive always considered them the definitive grindcore band so im really hoping they deliver this time around.

I also get annoyed by those people who just listen to as many albums as they possibly can, just so they can say they know more about metal than others. If somebody enjoys an album, they should spend some time listening to it, and listen to it more than once.

Considered the possibility that I don't give a shit about how much I "know" about metal, but instead love listening to new music as often as I can? It's not like I run around telling people what I listen to. I have Spotify and that means I'm not stuck with a few albums to listen to repeatedly. I also don't post up everything I listen to, just the ones I'm really digging. But just for you...

Orchid - Mouths of Madness
bA2De9bl.jpg

Bloodiest - Descent
Ef4l2nPl.jpg

Black Teeth - Ghost Town Anthems
5UMkDaK.jpg

Kowloon Walled City - Container Ships
wBaHPID.jpg

Baptists - Bushcraft
ocnTeVn.jpg

The Endless Blockade - Primitive
rmIZGBb.jpg

Manatees - Icarus, the Sunclimber
cA6Cpsa.jpg

Planks - Funeral Mouth
kK7r2ke.png

Khann - Erode
YlKPzkA.jpg

Heksed - s/t
Flcd5Z0l.jpg

Considered the possibility that I don't give a shit about how much I "know" about metal, but instead love listening to new music as often as I can? It's not like I run around telling people what I listen to. I have Spotify and that means I'm not stuck with a few albums to listen to repeatedly. I also don't post up everything I listen to, just the ones I'm really digging. But just for you...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's pretty funny. I understand the whole appeal of spotify and what not. I mean given the album is available you can listen to 10 new ones in a day if you wanted.

Personally I just don't get into that. I've said it in one place before but I greatly prefer physical albums, and now that I'm really getting into vinyl, that's even more the case. I like holding it in my hand, especially vinyl. The art, the liner notes, the cool discs, absorbing one side of the album at a time, the different sound of vinyl, and even with CDs you still get the artwork, booklet, disc artwork, digipacks, digibooks, etc. To me all of that is part of the experience that IS music. Especially something like metal that has such and emphasis on art and the visual. Streaming a bunch of stuff online just seems so disconnected to me. I mean it's a good way to check out new bands, and when you are at work and don't have your record collection with you, it makes sense, and I've even done it for those reasons. But when I hear something I like online, I always search for a physical product.

My two cents. There are merits to both sides on this though.

If it were POSSIBLE for me to consume the amount of music I do in a physical format, that'd be great. But there's just no way. I'm not the kind of person who enjoys listening to an album a million times in a row, not when I have ready access to so much music on demand.

It was mainly a dig at EffigyForgotten, who would post every fucking album he would listen to. And I'm not saying you should listen to an album one billion times, I'm just saying that people shouldn't listen to an album once and then just practically throw it away and never listen to it again (unless it's awful, of course). I like listening to new stuff just as much as the next guy...

Also, regarding spotify vs actual cds, I like to collect phyiscal cds (just like Matt). It's just something I like to do. If I like an album, I'm going to buy it eventually. I still use youtube, spotify, or whatever to listen to new stuff, but if I like it, I'll get it eventually.

Thing is, dude, I don't re-listen to many albums unless they're especially superlative. To my mind, if you don't explore, you don't know what's out there. Maybe there are albums that you'd like better than the ones you're currently spinning repeatedly, you don't know unless you check 'em out. Sometimes you find a real treasure. I'm at a point where a LOAD of my favorite albums were ones I stumbled across thanks to going through 4-6 new albums per day.

I have no problem with exploring, I just like to explore at a slower pace. It gives me time to listen to old stuff along with all the new albums I listen to every week.

One thing great about listening to albums you've already listened to, is that you pick up on some stuff that you didn't hear before. Like with Progressive Rock for example, if you listen to an album more than once, you might be able to catch some instruments in that background that you didn't hear before, like saxophones, etc. I don't think you really get to enjoy the music unless you really digest it.

Wish that Orchid album wasnt shitted up by a couple absolute filler songs in the middle. It starts out like a fucking beast though.

I agree with SomeGuyDude.

I go through a lot of music too via spotify, YouTube, last.fm, pandora or even downloading. Yes I download, go fuck yourself. Lol

However these are my means to sift through the metric fuckton of music available to simply find those albums that are worth owning, and mainly in my case on vinyl, I don't care too much for CDs...So i do support bands i feel worthy of supporying, but If I were to buy everything I listened to I would be broke as a fucking joke.

It's such a big difference today with the internet compared to 20, even 10 years ago - now there's such a plethora of music available after a few keystrokes.

This has positives and negatives. On the positive it makes it so much easier to check out new music and try before you buy (if you choose to buy). But at the same time I think it's created a generation of people who treat music as a much more temporary medium that can be thrown away. Download 20 albums, listen to each one once (or even parts of songs), then delete once done. It can mean that music doesn't really get enjoyed.

When I first started listening to music seriously I'd buy the vinyl based on a few reviews. Now that I owned it I had to listen to it multiple times, and I think in many cases it meant I enjoyed the album much more. So many albums need multiple listens to really get into them I think.

These days I do download new music and listen to it, but if I like it I'll buy the physical CD to own/support the band, especially if it has a DVD version (for 5.1 sound and/or extra video).