Controversial opinions on metal

I'm not saying that guitar tuning is what creates heaviness. I am saying that I don't know what else you might be implying when saying Black Sabbath isn't heavy. Seriously, have you listened to the first six albums? Into the Void is one of the heaviest songs of all time.

I have not listened to that Cactus song yet but I will soon. Plenty of hard rock bands started to get heavier with time but Black Sabbath turned it into something that can be distinguished from mere rock.

LOL so you've gone through this a few times with me in arguing but didn't actually check out the songs I posted. You just saw the name "Mastodon" and immediately balked and wrote a few responses to me.

That actually told me everything I need to know about this argument. Carry on, I'm done.

PS In case you fucking missed it the first ten times I said it, Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Skynard were some of the first bands I heard PERIOD. Yes. I know Sabbath albums, holy shit. It's like you aren't actually reading my posts, just arguing.

Well their riffs are certainly catchy. It's just kind of bouncy and hard to take seriously in the context of doom metal. The vocal effects don't help much either.

It's not the worst genre of music ever but it's a far more accessible, less melancholic, upbeat style of doom which I find kind of alienating.

While I agree with Mantic that most of the newer stuff just sounds heavier due to the production, I have to say that Mastadon track SGD posted was indeed heavy as fuck.

Heaviest track I can think of at the moment would probably have to be Electric Wizards Funeralopolis.

Who would you guys say is the heaviest death metal band?

LOL so you've gone through this a few times with me in arguing but didn't actually check out the songs I posted. You just saw the name "Mastodon" and immediately balked and wrote a few responses to me.

That actually told me everything I need to know about this argument. Carry on, I'm done.

PS In case you fucking missed it the first ten times I said it, Sabbath, Zeppelin, and Skynard were some of the first bands I heard PERIOD. Yes. I know Sabbath albums, holy shit. It's like you aren't actually reading my posts, just arguing.

I have actually heard that particular Mastodon song before which is why I commented on it. What makes you think that I'm going to listen to those songs and suddenly think Black Sabbath isn't heavy anymore? That has nothing directly to do with the argument you fucking dolt.

I could care less how old you are or what music you grew up on. That doesn't give you some kind of metallic over-arching knowledge of genre classification. Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that you've heard much Black Sabbath if you seriously can't admit that they're a heavy fucking metal band.

Maybe you should consider another genre of music to listen to if you feel the need to self-importantly re-write history. Something more modern perhaps so you don't sound like as much of a jackass. Wishful thinking. This forum has become saturated with post-metal police who like to shit all over the classics to prove some "higher understanding" of this art form (when really, it's just a defense mechanism against insecurity over liking something that might be un-elitist). This place sucks.

Ha, this is definitely my favorite thread (and most interesting to read) in GMD. :lol:

Funny, I think I may be considered a "modern metalhead" according to this whole discussion. My parents didn't listen to metal (or had any idea what the hell it was). I had no idea what metal was, nor have I heard any of it (this also includes rock, did not hear any rock music either) until maybe 14 years old. When I got into it I got into extreme metal first. So Emperor, Darkthrone, Bathory, Burzum and some Funeral Doom. However, when I was older and finally listened (and got over being a BM elitist) to the first few Black Sabbath albums, I really really enjoyed them. It was like discovering something new about what I've already been listening to and coming full circle with my experience.

Yes, a lot of BS albums are overrated, but I personally wouldn't be able to trust someone who is a fan of heavy metal/doom and they say that they do not like BS. Why? Because I've been there too. Didn't listen to them until maybe 19 years old, and still was able to realize that they were good if not better than a lot of the modern music I was already listening to. I think that's the point of being a classic. Yes, you are the original of the genre and such, but your material's quality still stands it ground in the modern day.

Sure I get it. A music's quality has nothing to do with what year it was produced. I would not argue with that; that is obviously true. However, a music's quality has everything to do with exactly that and I'd definitely argue up until now, BS still remains to have some of the best quality in trad doom. Could that change? Absolutely.

The only sabbath albums I would even consider traditional doom would be the first four, and I honestly think #3 and #4 are closer to the origins of stoner doom.

Who would you guys say is the heaviest death metal band?

Incantation - Onward To Golgotha
Miasma - Changes
Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels

I'm taking ObscureInfinity's definition on heaviness here, as there are obviously boring downtuned chugs that are somehow more heavy through a subwoofer than these, but the crushing weight of infernal darkness is much heavier than anything an 8-string guitar can churn out ;)

Krow: True. I forgot to mention stoner doom. I had it in mind, though.

I do love the first 6 albums, Heaven and Hell and Dehumanizer. After that I like songs on the other albums but not necessarily the entire albums.

Still, to me, I have not heard any stoner doom band that's exactly better than the BS albums I like, maybe just as good though.

I honestly find it kind of embarrassing that someone could like a bastardized over-produced "doom" metal band like Electric Wizard (clearly influenced by Black Sabbath) and claim that Sabbath sounds "old" and "outdated."

The only sabbath albums I would even consider traditional doom would be the first four, and I honestly think #3 and #4 are closer to the origins of stoner doom.

I would argue that the following two are definitely traditional doom. Sabotage is easily my favorite by the band.

Didn't Tony Iommi accidentally invent doom because his finger got cut off and he had to tune the guitar differently to compensate? Or something like that?

Incantation - Onward To Golgotha
Miasma - Changes
Dead Congregation - Graves Of The Archangels

I'm taking ObscureInfinity's definition on heaviness here, as there are obviously boring downtuned chugs that are somehow more heavy through a subwoofer than these, but the crushing weight of infernal darkness is much heavier than anything an 8-string guitar can churn out ;)

Cool choices. I might add something new and that's the new fucking Grave upheaval. Total dirt.

In the new Impetious Ritual you can hardly hear a riff:

Too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that dark death metal stuff but it isn't my definition of super heavy death.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9-jFz74HO0[/ame]

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=geoqYbLZmdM[/ame]

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQ-MnfE9Cs[/ame]

I don't disagree with ANY of the above posts on ultra-heavy shit. Everything listed there from romanticism and Krow just flattens me.

Didn't Tony Iommi accidentally invent doom because his finger got cut off and he had to tune the guitar differently to compensate? Or something like that?

Yes. Doom didn't exist in the slightest on the first two Sabbath albums, but the moment Iommi sustained a hand injury and started to turn the knobs, BAM, doom. Because that's all doom metal is. Music played with downtuned instruments.

Likewise, Tom Warrior accidentally invented death metal when his bandmates decided to hide a tape recorder in the bathroom after Tom devoured a particularly gnarly Thai meal.