Controversial opinions on metal

Its because they arent straight thrash. Its got some death metal influence.

lol no they don't. Starting with Persecution Mania they're about as vanilla as it gets.

EDIT: And really, as cool as Vektor is and everything, listing them as a rare exception is proof that you haven't dug particularly deep.

Who are you replying to HBB? Kara or Butt?

Vektor haven't been around for too long, but I can easily say that they are already one of the best thrash metal bands around ... that is without a doubt. And if they release another few albums like their last two, when all is said and done they will probably go down as one of the all time greats ... actually, to already have two of the greatest thrash albums of the last 20 years might just be enough.

More The Butt I guess, but could work for either. They're great, but with a few special features of their own aside, they really aren't that unprecedented or amazing compared to Destruction (Release From Agony), Obliveon, or Aspid. If one loves Vektor, the only acceptable reason not to love those others is unawareness.

I think straightforward thrash gets an unfair rap when you look at all the dull and samey OSDM that gets an inexplicable pass.

EDIT: And TNB, you've got to check out Aspid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to agree with this, but I listen to Magma and Soft Machine, so that would be silly.

I'll jam Voivod or Vektor all day but damn, straightforward thrash can be downright dull.

Could never get into Voivod, either. Bored me to tears live.

I think straightforward thrash gets an unfair rap when you look at all the dull and samey OSDM that gets an inexplicable pass.

EDIT: And TNB, you've got to check out Aspid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpxvsRBA6dU

I dont know what im more shocked by, the fact that you posted something I somewhat enjoyed or that I enjoyed something thats thrash related. Sounded like a mix of Vektor and Demolition Hammer.

So Aspid is considered straight thrash?

More The Butt I guess, but could work for either. They're great, but with a few special features of their own aside, they really aren't that unprecedented or amazing compared to Destruction (Release From Agony), Obliveon, or Aspid. If one loves Vektor, the only acceptable reason not to love those others is unawareness.

I will check Aspid and Obliveon out.

Bands like Voivod, Obliveon, Coroner and Sadus were always more appealing to me more than Metallica or Slayer or Anthrax. I've always appreciated the more complex side of heavy metal than the straightforward material.

I think I'm the other way around. For me, I like my thrash sloppy and messy with dirty-ass riffs. I won't deny the greatness of Coroner or Voivod and the like, but give me some early Slayer, Morbid Saint, and Sodom over the more technical thrash any day.

Nocturnus is better than Slayer.

Cannabis Corpse is better than Cannibal Corpse.

Autopsy's A Mental Funeral is their only good album...and it's really good.

People talk entirely too much shit on the core genre and there is a fine line between giving truthful opinions and giving snobbery.

Devourment, Infant Annihilator, and Venom (and others I can't think of at the moment) are overrated.

Some one-man projects are better than full bands; I actually like Disfiguring The Goddess and Whore Torture, for example.

I listen to metal from all genres.

Nocturnus is better than Slayer.

Cannabis Corpse is better than Cannibal Corpse.

Autopsy's A Mental Funeral is their only good album...and it's really good.

People talk entirely too much shit on the core genre and there is a fine line between giving truthful opinions and giving snobbery.

Devourment, Infant Annihilator, and Venom (and others I can't think of at the moment) are overrated.

Some one-man projects are better than full bands; I actually like Disfiguring The Goddess and Whore Torture, for example.

I listen to metal from all genres.
Most metalcore isn't metal.

(metal)core

Just because its called as such, doesnt make it so.

Metal-influenced hardcore. Being influenced by a genre does not inherently make something that genre.

There are core bands that are metal, but that is because they are more metal than core. Like Lamb of God, or Mastodon.

Surely you wouldnt tell me these are metal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, since when are Mastodon and Lamb of God even referred to as core?

They sound metal to me, surely not good metal but my opinion on them doesn't change anything.

Last I checked hardcore music INFLUENCED by metal is labeled metallic hardcore, I may be mistaken.