Controversial opinions on metal

Meh, not really feeling it either.

There is no Slayer without Jeff.

Also, Diablous in Musica and God Hates Us All are far from being good albums. I still remember waiting anxiously for the DiM. There wasn't a single Slayer fan i knew who was not shocked and let down by that album. One of the biggest disappointments ever, even to this day. First it was Sepultura with Roots, then Metallica with Load ... but no one ever expected Slayer to go that route and release that steaming pile of shit. It was a very sad day for metal.

New song sounds ok. Not good or remotely interesting, but I'm not finding much to dislike. The drumming does sound kinda sluggish and uninspired for the riffs, though. Had to check to make sure Bostaph was still in the band.

Controversial opinion: Playing With Dolls is one of Slayer's best songs since Seasons in the Abyss.

I don't think Diabolus was as bad as everyone says it is. Sure, it's not their greatest, but it's tolerable.

What's wrong with that? The new Slayer song is now up on YouTube, shouldn't we try to be current with everything metal related?

I don't think any opinion our collective can devise on the following subjects has not been visited on a previous cycle, and thus cannot be considered controversial:

1. Opeth's direction and relevance
2. The Big 4 of Thrash
3. Post Black Metal, "riffless cowards", so on.

Who gives a shit if Slayer has a new song or Lars Ulrich has a new outlook on piracy or Megadeth's new album totally bones or Michael Akerfeldt lambasted metal in another interview or deafheaven's latest homosexual gangbang was leaked. We're beating a dead horse talking about it in this thread, it's old news in the controversy department.

New song sounds ok. Not good or remotely interesting, but I'm not finding much to dislike. The drumming does sound kinda sluggish and uninspired for the riffs, though. Had to check to make sure Bostaph was still in the band.

Bostaph is awesome, but he never brought the same type of energy to the table as Lombardo did. Paul is a pretty good drummer, but Dave is just so much better.

Controversial opinion: Playing With Dolls is one of Slayer's best songs since Seasons in the Abyss.

What the fuck? Not only is that their worst tracks from WPB, it's one of their worst tracks to date. Seriously though, are you joking around or are your ears really that fucking broken?

Bostaph was fine on all the other albums as far as I can recall. The drumming actually sounds pretty weak here.

I dunno, Playing With Dolls kinda has a dark Seasons in the Abyss title track but just mixed with this kinda alt/nu metal riffing style that actually sounds fresh for Slayer. Compared to the usual forgettable monotony, it's actually memorable.

I don't even know if this is controversial or not but I don't believe Slayer (or really any of the big 4) will ever release another good album ever again.

The question is, have they really released any good albums at all?

Lets see,

Metallica - Three descent albums early on, rest is pure shit.

Megadeth - Total garbage from start to finish, not one descent riff in their whole discography.

Slayer - First EP was allright and first 4 albums are listenable, but overrated to hell.

Anthrax - Three first albums are good enough, rest is shit. Spreading the Disease is a good one.

Thats the big 4 for ya!

That said, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is the most overrated fucking band in the world. I've tried on SEVERAL occasions to understand them and have never succeeded. The songs just don't move well. They creep along and do nothing interesting. A lot of post-rock is like that, and it sucks.

You mean you don't like Arco/AmPm gas station announcement samples?

I like GY!BE...

That said, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is the most overrated fucking band in the world. I've tried on SEVERAL occasions to understand them and have never succeeded. The songs just don't move well. They creep along and do nothing interesting. A lot of post-rock is like that, and it sucks.

Fucking horns up for this dude. Godspeed You! Black Emperor is fucking shit out the ass!

GY!BE, from what I've heard (not a whole lot) is easily my least favorite of the major post-whatever bands. Too soundtracky or something, in a bad way.

GY!BE, from what I've heard (not a whole lot) is easily my least favorite of the major post-whatever bands. Too soundtracky or something, in a bad way.

I agree 100%. I really sat down and was like "Okay I'm gonna understand this band" because literally all of their albums are on best-of lists and they're always cited as the greatest post-rock band of all time. Every time I made it partway through one or two songs before I just got bored. Everything sounds like the intro to something that never shows up. Like they're the overture to be played while the audience is still walking into the theatre.

And you guys who've seen me spam the other thread, I listen to a FUCKLOAD of post.