Controversial opinions on metal

Megadeth is what I'd call the definition of mid-paced thrash. They have some thrashy moments, but there are way too many choruses and slow bits to be full on thrash.

They do have thrash songs don't get me wrong, This Day We Fight, FFF, Rattlehead, etc. but they are not the majority of their catalog by far.

I see nothing wrong with Dave's voice personally. I like most weirder voices in thrash (and mid-paced thrash) though.

I'm listening to Linkin Park right now and getting massive nostalgia. Hybrid Theory is actually a pretty cool album. I'm tempted to buy it again. I haven't listened to this shit since like middle school.

I'm listening to Linkin Park right now and getting massive nostalgia. Hybrid Theory is actually a pretty cool album. I'm tempted to buy it again. I haven't listened to this shit since like middle school.

Dude I feel the same way. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were my fuckin JAMS when I was 12. Nothing was better. Get me a little drunk and I'll sing Crawling flawlessly at karaoke.

Megadeth is what I'd call the definition of mid-paced thrash. They have some thrashy moments, but there are way too many choruses and slow bits to be full on thrash.

They do have thrash songs don't get me wrong, This Day We Fight, FFF, Rattlehead, etc. but they are not the majority of their catalog by far.

I see nothing wrong with Dave's voice personally. I like most weirder voices in thrash (and mid-paced thrash) though.

Wow bro, you're so wrong that it's actually pretty funny. "Definition of mid paced thrash" "they have some thrashy moments" "they do have thrash songs" "not full on thrash"? :lol: Are you sure were talking about Megadeth here, one of the forefathers of thrash metal?

Like i said, their first four are 100% full on thrash through and through. It doesnt get any thrashier than those albums ... especially their first, which is just pure blitzkrieging, filthy, full on thrash metal, no other album defines the sub-genre better than KIMB. Later on in their career is when they took the mid-paced route, and still managed to release some killer albums like Youthanasia and Countdown.

You guys all seem to have a big misunderstanding of what thrash metal is ... please refresh your memories by listening to their debut.

edit: well to be fair, as of right now ... they definitely are a mid-paced thrash metal band. But that definitely does not apply to their first four.

I think the definition of thrash has changed over the years. By a modern definition I think they are mid-paced thrash. Back then, they were thrash, because they were one of the first like you said.

But I think there are definitely thrashier bands than Megadeth in the modern sense.

Even KIMB has like 3 songs I'd consider full on thrash. But a couple of those could be arguably speed metal too.

It seems we just have different ideas of what thrash should sound like, which is somewhat subjective.

I mean I love Megadeth, I have nearly their entire discography on my playlist. But I'm being honest, a lot of their stuff just doesn't sound as thrashy as dozens of other bands on my playlist.

KIMB has like 3 songs I'd consider full on thrash.

127095609349.jpg

Dude I feel the same way. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were my fuckin JAMS when I was 12. Nothing was better. Get me a little drunk and I'll sing Crawling flawlessly at karaoke.

Don't care what anyone says. Late-90s and maybe a little early 2000's nu metal was fun as fuck.

Damn, now I'm in the mood for some Static-X.

I have the sudden urge to go out and buy a leather studded wallet with an excessively long chain that hangs past knee level. It should go great with some Jynco jeans, I should be able to get both at walmart.

Edit: Turntable scratches, downtuned guitars, radio friendly vocals and lyrics about childhood trauma.

:kickass:

- In my opinion St. Anger and 'Black' are in Metallica's top three albums.
- I love listening to Slipknot. As well as to Limp Bizkit and Bullet for my Valentine.
- I can't stand all things power metal.
- Although I love Behemoth, I daresay they make less heavy music than Slipknot, tame even in comparison.

Annoyed yet? ;)

I have the sudden urge to go out and buy a leather studded wallet with an excessively long chain that hangs past knee level. It should go great with some Jynco jeans, I should be able to get both at walmart.

Edit: Turntable scratches, downtuned guitars, radio friendly vocals and lyrics about childhood trauma.

:kickass:

God I had Jnco Jeans back in the day, even had my hair grown out long but shaved on the back and sides so I could pull the ponytail back like a coonskin cap. Ohhhhhh the Y2K era was fun.

To play devil's advocate here Skinny Fists deserves all the praise it gets but F#A# is a great album but it's also overrated as hell. It's probably one of the most overrated albums in recent time. And let's face it Yanqui isn't exactly godspeed's best album. A good album don't get me wrong, I like all of them but the only one I would honestly say deserves the status that it does is Skinny Fists.

And someone could legitimately say even that's overrated as hell and as much as I would disagree with that opinion they would be able to make a pretty solid case for it. Still an incredible band. There is a lot of bullshit surrounding their music though. Most of it coming from music journalists writing self indulgent reviews and snobbish hipster douche types.

To play devil's advocate here Skinny Fists deserves all the praise it gets but F#A# is a great album but it's also overrated as hell. It's probably one of the most overrated albums in recent time. And let's face it Yanqui isn't exactly godspeed's best album. A good album don't get me wrong, I like all of them but the only one I would honestly say deserves the status that it does is Skinny Fists.

I don't agree that F#A# is overrated. I think it's their best record and the best post-rock record. I know some people dislike the loose nature of the compositions, but I think there's no other way to convey the sort of feeling they are trying to communicate: humanity surviving within the inhumane.

I agree Yanqui is nothing special. A good, not great, record.

And someone could legitimately say even that's overrated as hell and as much as I would disagree with that opinion they would be able to make a pretty solid case for it. Still an incredible band. There is a lot of bullshit surrounding their music though. Most of it coming from music journalists writing self indulgent reviews and snobbish hipster douche types.

I don't really have a problem with someone thinking it's overrated. I just think it's kind of silly to act like it's laughable to say that they are one of the great acts of the last 15-20 years. They're clearly well respected, highly influential, and popular amongst multiple generations. That suggests they're doing something right. Whether that "something" is something you do or not value is another question all together.