Controversial opinions on metal

I love a lot of their stuffy, I have a lot of it on vinyl and CD and I was just playing British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance on the turntable recently. It's good stuff. I prefer listening to individual songs more though. The compilation called Metal Works is really good, fuck all of the millions of other ones though and fuck whoever took or broke my disc 2.

I did used to overate them and be a bit of a fanboy though.

I still put Sad Wings below the following two, but have to admit that it feels like the most cohesive/logically-flowing of the S trinity (and that holds even in the version with the fucked up track order).

I love a lot of their stuffy, I have a lot of it on vinyl and CD and I was just playing British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance on the turntable recently. It's good stuff. I prefer listening to individual songs more though. The compilation called Metal Works is really good, fuck all of the millions of other ones though and fuck whoever took or broke my disc 2.

I did used to overate them and be a bit of a fanboy though.

They've got too many quality deep cuts to go that route, even though they are a band known for multiple successful singles as well as strong opening tracks. Although I have to admit that I was going to give The Rage and Solar Angels as songs likely glossed over, when looking at the Metal Works tracklisting they actually included them, so by compilation standards, props.

It is one of the best. But no way, on saying it beats Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage. SBS and Sabotage are flawless in every aspect.

Ultimately it's a matter of taste. I'm not gonna knock SBS or Sabotage because I think they're great records, but SWoD is more consistently outstanding and eclectic. Every song is perfect and there's so much variety and yet a wonderful arc from start to finish.

Ultimately it's a matter of taste. I'm not gonna knock SBS or Sabotage because I think they're great records, but SWoD is more consistently outstanding and eclectic. Every song is perfect and there's so much variety and yet a wonderful arc from start to finish.

Not that I disagree (I rate the three equally) but I would use those words to describe SBS and Sabotage as well.

the second to 4th Fates Warning albums are better than anything Manilla Road ever put out.

Unquestionably. Fates Warning is the greatest and Manilla Road is anyone's great-uncle's shitty bar band playing metal.

No Exit isn't that great, though. It's basically an awesome four song EP with twenty minutes of half/quarter songs at the end.

MOAR LIEK VANILLA ROAD, AMIRITE?!

Ridiculously overrated.

It is one of the best. But no way, on saying it beats Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage.

I would say that, but I'm one of the few that thinks that a majority of what I've heard of the Ozzy material isn't that great. I prefer Ozzy's solo stuff to his BS days.

And Judas Priest is the greatest heavy metal group of all time.

Mannila Road and Cirith Ungol actually kinda suck. Actually I take that back they don't kinda suck they just suck. Fuck em both. Two more UM sacred cows that I can't stand.

I would say that, but I'm one of the few that thinks that a majority of what I've heard of the Ozzy material isn't that great. I prefer Ozzy's solo stuff to his BS days..

I'm the exact opposite. I feel like Ozzy's solo material was trend-hopping dogshit, but back in Sabbath he was actually at the forefront of a movement.

I would say that, but I'm one of the few that thinks that a majority of what I've heard of the Ozzy material isn't that great. I prefer Ozzy's solo stuff to his BS days.
This is so wrong it boggles the mind. Paranoid and Master of Reality in particular are just unbelievable fucking albums.

I don't get the Cirith Ungol hype either.
This I can agree with. I can't really get into the vocals.

Yeah Cirith Ungol are pretty meh. There are millions of similar bands, including some contemporary ones, in the same sub genre that pull it off better and are more interesting. Nobody ever mentions Zed Yago/Velvet Viper, for example, but they're way better than Cirith Ungol. I'm not counting the Zed Yago album with the different singer though.

I've only listened to a couple Cirith Ungol songs, but I liked them. Not, like, special and mind-blowing, but pretty good straightforward BM.

To Clarify, MR don't suck, for me and they are pretty good in their own way. Crystal Logic and Open the Gates are the ones I go back to the most. I just think they're nowhere near as good as Fates Warning were at their metal peak. If they had a Halford or Geof Tate clone vocalist they would be way better though. They really do have their boring moments too, riff wise.

I've only listened to a couple Cirith Ungol songs, but I liked them. Not, like, special and mind-blowing, but pretty good straightforward BM.

They're not black metal. You've probably mistaken them for Cirith Gorgor.