Controversial opinions on metal

Weird. I thought you had told me that you already had Machine Head and a few of the other DP albums. What were you expecting anyway? But weak? lol Outside of Black Sabbath there were not many bands that were as loud and heavy in the late 60's and early 70's. It was basically them Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin ... and LZ is the only band out of the three that can be described as weak.

Pictures of Home, Smoke on the Water, Space Truckin, Highway Star .... some of the best hardrock/heavy metal songs of all time.

Lucifer's Friend was pretty heavy for their time also.

*edited for typos X2

Only them? What about Dust, Cactus, Leaf Hound, Atomic Rooster, Fresh Blueberry Pancake, Uriah Heep, Paladin, Night Sun, etc

You forgot about Steppenwolf, Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer etc ;)

I havent heard most of the bands you lsited, but from the ones i've heard i can safely say they're not as heavy as Black Sabbath, or even some of DP's heavier stuff. UH has some heavy ass tracks and gets close at times but is not as heavy as the bands i mentioned. Same goes for Dust. I'll have to check the rest of those bands out, which ones are less heavy on prog and experimentation?

Controversial opinion: I think the rise of thrash in the 80's, 'crash' of thrash in the mid 90's, and the renewal of thrash in the mid 00's, had a lot to do with the political climate in the U.S. during those years.

In general at least the politically driven side of thrash is fairly liberal and anti-war I think.

Thrash started in about '81 or '82 around the same time Reagan took office.
Thrash essentially 'crashed' in 1993, the same year Clinton took office.
Thrash came back in about 2003, the same year Bush jr. started the Iraq war version 2.0 after 9/11.

I think it's just a coincidence.

Controversial opinion: I think the rise of thrash in the 80's, 'crash' of thrash in the mid 90's, and the renewal of thrash in the mid 00's, had a lot to do with the political climate in the U.S. during those years.

In general at least the politically driven side of thrash is fairly liberal and anti-war I think.

Thrash started in about '81 or '82 around the same time Reagan took office.
Thrash essentially 'crashed' in 1993, the same year Clinton took office.
Thrash came back in about 2003, the same year Bush jr. started the Iraq war version 2.0 after 9/11.

the rise - motorhead/jp/discharge influenced a shit ton of kids to play faster
the fall - grunge/groove=death of thrash
the rebirth - bands got tired of playing pop-thrash, so they went back to their roots

Lol, there's no such thing as vanilla tech-death, son. "Vanilla" would be more appropriately labeled to most of the generic slam garbage you listen to.

Also, the tech-death i listen to is fucking elite. It's not my fault you're too softheaded to understand.

And you're clearly wrong, whitechapel and suicide silent are my favorite things ever. Can we be buddies now? :rolleyes:

Classic Sabbath has more impressive musicianship than most of the masturbatory tech death garbage you tossers fondle yourselves to. Those guys could really fuckin' play.