Controversial opinions on metal

Even if the rest of the album was best thrash available, I wouln't place RIP above other albums because of Five Magics and espcially Dawn Patrol.

Five Magics is easily one of his best. If he has one song that can be called straight-up tech-thrash, it's that one.

EDIT: Wait, do you have the remaster? The remaster is especially infamous for butchering that song.

No, I just don't like that song. First two minutes are boring repeating patterns, than average riffs kicks in, divided by solos that I don't like (see solos thread), after chorus the solos are replaced by deep voice that is really just annoying. Now I really like that part that stars around 4,45 and also the chorus, it's quite dark sounding, but it doesn't save the song for me.

Dawn Patrol is basically an interlude.

That album is a fuckin' masterpiece, top to bottom. Lucrieta and Poison Was the Cure are the only two tracks that i wouldn't call flawless, but still top notch.

If he has one song that can be called straight-up tech-thrash, it's that one.

He has plenty of techy tracks, but how in the world does Five Magics sound like straight up tech-thrash to you? When was the last time you listened to that track? You're pretty off on that one.

When will you fools accept that Megadeth are a second-tier thrash band with about 2.5 good albums over a 30+ year career? They're not a bad band by any stretch but they're a lot closer to Testament than Metallica and Slayer in terms of quality.

No, I just don't like that song. First two minutes are boring repeating patterns, than average riffs kicks in, divided by solos that I don't like (see solos thread), after chorus the solos are replaced by deep voice that is really just annoying. Now I really like that part that stars around 4,45 and also the chorus, it's quite dark sounding, but it doesn't save the song for me.

Fair enough, and I agree that the intro is overlong. Still love the rest though.

He has plenty of techy tracks, but how in the world does Five Magics sound like straight up tech-thrash to you? When was the last time you listened to that track? You're pretty off on that one.

It's much more tech than any of the Exmortus you fellate. I mean, by Watchtower or Deathrow - Deception Ignored standards it's still pretty straight forward, but I'm saying by Megadeth standards (and considering that Megadeth fanboys often worship the band for all their lead guitar masturbation, I'm saying Five Magics is a cut above). At least on par with the average 80s Coroner track.

lol

and which 2.5 albums would those be?

Megadeth - 8 good albums - 4 great
Slayer - 8 good albums - 4 great
Metallica - 5 good albums - 4 great
Testament - 9 good albums - 2 great

Testament are in no way second-tier thrash.

edit: As usual ... you don't know what the fuck your talking about, HBB. Tbh, that post is pretty sig worthy. Five Magics sounds nothing like tech thrash, absolutely nothing. And then you top it off by saying it's on par with Coroner in terms of tech-thash? :lol: You must be fucking with me, there's no way you're that fucking stupid.

The new Exmortus is pretty standard mostly-4/4 stuff with a lot of neoclassical wank. It's technical like an Yngwie album. Five Magics has a lot more going on rhythmically than anything from that album.