Controversial opinions on metal

Can't agree. On 13 they tried so hard to capture the magic of the old days but didn't make it.

I think the same about The Devil You Know as well. A failed attempt IMO.

I'm not familiar with most of Cryptopsy's stuff, but I think the better songs on Altars are more "whirlwind"-y than most of None So Vile, which technical and crazy as it is is also quite hooky and digestible.

It's too punchless of a record to create a whirlwind atmosphere. Also, I don't see what hooks have to do with anything, since some DSO tracks have hooks, but my point was that the song structures are far from conventional or predictable. Even if there are hooks on some tracks, the journey to and from the hook is far from conventional.

13 was a top 10 Sabbath album. Closer to 10 than 1 but still a great album.

It's the worst Ozzy led Sabbath record, without a doubt.

The songwriting on None So Vile doesn't strike me as that unconventional. They were really able to stick to a theme and get their mileage out of it which shows great writing, but by death metal standards I wouldn't call it an unpredictable album. Since Altars of Madness pretty much pioneered the "riff salad" approach that distinguished death metal from thrash more than riffing itself at that point, I'm not sure it's fair to call it predictable at all.

I wouldn't say either of those albums would have been considered predictable for their time ... especially None So Vile.

edit: I don't see what Cryptopsy have in common with the sound we're talking about. I don't remember much dissonance on NSV.

Also, give Close to A World Below a try. That's their most acclaimed album.

The songwriting on None So Vile doesn't strike me as that unconventional. They were really able to stick to a theme and get their mileage out of it which shows great writing, but by death metal standards I wouldn't call it an unpredictable album. Since Altars of Madness pretty much pioneered the "riff salad" approach that distinguished death metal from thrash more than riffing itself at that point, I'm not sure it's fair to call it predictable at all.

Nobody called it predictable.

I wouldn't say either of those albums would have been considered predictable for their time ... especially None So Vile.

edit: I don't see what Cryptopsy have in common with the sound we're talking about. I don't remember much dissonance on NSV.

Also, give Close to A World Below a try. That's their most acclaimed album.

I wasn't comparing the dissonant aspect, but rather the fact that both bands create heavy, technical, contorting compositions that grab you and don't let go.

I don't really get the pummeling feeling from either band, to be honest. It's just fairly vanilla extreme metal in my opinion. Here in After is a little more redeeming after a few listens.

Try something newer from Immolation, like Close to a World Below or Unholy Cult. As much as I like the older Immolation, they have really come into a sound that is quite oppressive on these two albums. If you can enjoy stuff like DSO, then I would expect you could appreciate this as well. Maybe you will find it more to your liking than MA.

Immolation does the whirlwind atmosphere like no other band.

It's too punchless of a record to create a whirlwind atmosphere.

I dont see what punch has to do with creating a whirlwind type atmosphere. The rapid rhythm changes and swirling guitar riffs on Altars definitely achieve the desired effect. Personally I dont see Flo's drumming to be more conducive to this effect than Sandoval's either, even if it is played a bit faster.

Try something newer from Immolation, like Close to a World Below or Unholy Cult. As much as I like the older Immolation, they have really come into a sound that is quite oppressive on these two albums. If you can enjoy stuff like DSO, then I would expect you could appreciate this as well. Maybe you will find it more to your liking than MA.

Immolation does the whirlwind atmosphere like no other band.

Cool, I'll check those records out in the near future.

I dont see what punch has to do with creating a whirlwind type atmosphere. The rapid rhythm changes and swirling guitar riffs on Altars definitely achieve the desired effect. Personally I dont see Flo's drumming to be more conducive to this effect than Sandoval's either, even if it is played a bit faster.

I guess the two don't have to go hand-in-hand, but an intense tone maximizes the whirlwind effect.

Close to a World Below is a fantastic album.

I like pretty much all Immolation's albums, I guess, but I don't really listen to them asides that one. It's definitely influenced the way I play guitar. Altars of Madness has too, but I wouldn't put them together stylistically. I think AOM has a much more thrashy vibe. CTAWB is like some scarecrow grim reaper type doing a weird fucking danse macabre with a corpse in each hand, using the two lifeless cunts like rotting fleshy scythes.

Such groove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black Sabbath are a songs band for me, never really enjoyed a full album, except maybe Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, but I remember there being some awkwardness on that.

I actually kind of agree with this. Not that they don't have great albums, but they're better at writing songs than albums.

For all the talk I hear of Maiden or Priest having filler-ridden albums, Sabbath is significantly worse in that department. Paranoid is excellent start to finish though.

For all the talk I hear of Maiden or Priest having filler-ridden albums, Sabbath is significantly worse in that department. Paranoid is excellent start to finish though.

HB facepalm count: 5.

Fuck you cunt. Sabbath is the greatest metal band of all time. If you don't at least enjoy the first six front-to-back youre fucking mentally handicapped.

his voice is fucking wonderful. i'd take ozzy over dio any day.

claims that the first 6 are consistently great front to back are pretty absurd too though imo