Controversial opinions on metal

Past what point? There are many highly acclaimed metal bands with superior non-debut albums (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest...), let alone if you want to look further (Coroner, Immolation, Atheist, Fates Warning...).

I think Sabbath's debut is pretty amazing but I think it's much easier to find bands with superior debuts than the rest of their catalog

I think there are at least 3 commons trends with album quality:

1) Bands that have a superior first album and then start going downhill
2) Bands that have a really shitty first album and then keep improving
3) Older bands that have had many lineup changes so their quality is scattered throughout their career.

Spreading The Disease's riffs and overall vibe I remember being much Thrashier, it has been awhile though and I'm not crazy about the band, I just recall liking Fistful of Metal a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Persistence of Time is easily my fav of their three thrash albums. It's still preachy and overlong, but they played up the chugging the right way, evolving from thrash-that-is-mid-tempo to proper groovery.

EDIT: Fistful isn't really melodic enough to be proper USPM. It's just kinda average trad stuff, one or two thrash songs, some speed metal, but almost closer to a Raven or Anvil than anything.

I hear a lot of Manowar or Jag Panzer in Fistful of Metal, but essentially I agree with you man, definitely way more Speed Metal.

I'm really not much of a Power Metal fan, but I love old USPM sounds and the early shit by Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall etc.
I fucking love Twisted Tower Dire.

Actually, I can hear the Manowar thing. I guess I meant more in the dual-guitar, proto-power metal vein ala Fates Warning, Queensryche, etc; songs like The Enemy and Medusa could have easily come from that wing of USPM. That's my personal preference anyways. I agree that Fistful of Metal has stuff in common with the rawer/raunchier wing, though.