Controversial opinions on metal

I've tried several times but I simply can't find anything to like about Black Sabbath. I know they were the first Metal band and all that, so props to them for that achievement, but when I listen to their music without any context-based factors included, it just sounds like utter shit.
If it seems to be real it's an illusion...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rack DESTROYS anything Hail of Bullets has ever done, but if we're talking MVD I'd go with Consuming Impulse over everything else he's been on.

I'd listen to On Divine Winds over anything else MVD has put out. Never saw the big deal with either Asphyx or Pestilence. Not terrible but not memorable either.

and BWP is the only Opeth album one needs.

Don't care about Blackwater Park. [shrug]

Don't get how the fuck The Rack or Consuming Impulse aren't memorable, shit even Embrace The Death and Malleus Maleficarum can totally possess me, I don't dislike Hail of Bullets though, they make great Death Metal.

I think Theo Loomans was a better fit for Asphyx.

You read my mind! :kickass:

I like the self-titled, but Last One on Earth is probably their best.

Hail of bullets is Ok, nothing special. A poor mans Asphyx

Bunch of retread death themes are much less impressive than solid historically thematic albums like the material HoB puts out.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one doesn't have MVD...and I like it!

p199l1kesihfp1lmb2metfh1kdk4.jpg

re: opeth, MAYH is their best, followed by probably MORNINGRISE. laughable copy+paste songwriters but with many strong individual passages. recent material sucks though

Pretty much how I feel about them. Though I tend to go from really enjoying almost anything pre-Watershed to finding the band to be mind numbingly boring. In a sucker for their fall-vibe themed albums at times, but I think it is the poor songwriting that puts me off the other half of the time.

The new stuff is really boring to me. I absolutely loathed Heritage, and I listened to Pale Communion probably 4 times before I realized how boring and unmemorable it was. I think I give this band too much attention.

much of '70s priest > all iron maiden
halford > dickinson
di anno > dickinson
halford > di anno
solo dickinson > the majority of dickinson maiden

Nailed it.

As far as MVD, Last One on Earth is my favorite album hes been on, and he's the best choice for Asphyx. Though Asphyx has never done anything ive disliked, vocalists notwithstanding.

Asphyx > Pestilence > HoB (from what ive heard of them).

Yeah, it's full of boring knock-off thrash and Floridian death metal riffs and tries to compensate with silly interludes and keyboards.