Controversial opinions on metal

The John Arch era Fates Warning is a lot closer to traditional metal than later progressive metal, unless bands like Mercyful Fate are also progressive metal bands. Awaken the Guardian is the closest to what I would feel comfortable using that genre title and it's still leagues from what most people classify as progressive metal. There are other bands that i think also tread this line without falling into the genre in a clear way.

I'm not going to say that early Fates Warning, especially Awaken the Guardian, isn't progressive metal, because it could be argued that it is, although it clearly has a lot in common with traditional metal and isn't too similar to what the progressive metal genre became only a few years later. I can fully understand someone generally not enjoying progressive metal while still enjoying the first three Fates Warning albums.

I generally agree with this, although I'd say that it not sounding like later progressive metal doesn't mean too much when you have newer prog metal bands that are arguably simpler but just have that Dream Theater pomp aesthetic. Fates Warning, Mercyful Fate, etc are progressively-minded if not actually "progressive metal".

Reign In Blood is very important to Death Metal so it's not really 100% completely wrong, but not right.

Hell Awaits is just as important, as are a lot of their other early stuff.

But lo fucking l at saying its not completely wrong to say Reign in Blood is death metal. Way to go! :lol:

Again, them being very important/influential to other sub genres does not mean they played that type of music. Reign in Blood is 100% thrash metal, so yes it would be completely wrong to say that album is death metal.

I have No Exit on cassette. It's good if you can just take them as a different band without Arch. It doesn't come anywhere close to the first three albums, needless to say.

It's a great four song EP with 20 minutes of assorted song components thrown together in the second half. Their worst album from 1985 to 2000. The highlights put it above Night on Brocken, though.

Yeah, my version has it split into eight or whatever parts as well. The first half almost works, but there's a couple too many acoustic/piano cut-aways by the second half, and some of the thrash riffing is sorta generic for them.

I only listen to albums from start to finish, which is probably why that album doesn't work for me.

I don't mind hearing a track or two, but I won't ever listen to an album to hear a few songs and I don't use the skip function.