Controversial opinions on metal

Pretty much. They're basically post-tech-thrash, some Watchtower-y influences but simplified and less aggressive, with power metal influences creeping in.

If you manage to find bad/boring songs in a significant number of albums you enjoy, you are the problem, not the album. I bet you're one of those guys that skips Gangland or Leper Messiah because muh filler.

Yeah, and there's always the possibility of them growing anyways. There are a handful of albums where I'll skip a track if it's bad enough and the surrounding stuff good enough, but overall idgi.

If you manage to find bad/boring songs in a significant number of albums you enjoy, you are the problem, not the album. I bet you're one of those guys that skips Gangland or Leper Messiah because muh filler.

all i was saying is it's weird to NEVER skip out of principle, even in cases when it would be perfectly appropriate to do so. it's also weird to deny that such cases ever exist - it kind of stands to reason that not every album containing enjoyable material is gonna be good all the way through. but you already know that, given that your track ratings on RYM are sometimes all over the shop, and you're just being an insufferable, presumptuous, contrarian dickstain, as is your wont.

there's even the occasional case where an album is listenable all the way through but doesn't work so well as a whole unless you skip certain songs (WITH FEAR... comes to mind).

Definitely controversial to some here:

Stoner Doom > Trad Doom
Tech/Prog Thrash > Thrash/Death > Crossover > Black/Thrash
OSDM > Tech Death > Brutal Death
Prog Metal > Traditional Heavy Metal

If I get bored with tracks and find myself skipping them, I take the boring tracks off my iPod. I have a lot of partial albums. Saves space for more of the good shit anyway.

I'm rarely home long enough to listen to albums. I often sleep at friends and family's houses during the week because I live far from work. I go out on the weekends. So the iPod gets constant use here.

all i was saying is it's weird to NEVER skip out of principle, even in cases when it would be perfectly appropriate to do so. it's also weird to deny that such cases ever exist - it kind of stands to reason that not every album containing enjoyable material is gonna be good all the way through. but you already know that, given that your track ratings on RYM are sometimes all over the shop, and you're just being an insufferable, presumptuous, contrarian dickstain, as is your wont.

there's even the occasional case where an album is listenable all the way through but doesn't work so well as a whole unless you skip certain songs (WITH FEAR... comes to mind).

When you say it's weird that people don't skip "boring" songs, it makes you look like you have ADD. I demand an example of my "all over the shop" track ratings, I don't know what you're talking about and I've never been called out on that before so I'm really turned on right now to see what this is about.

Are you referring to the first half of With Fear... generally being considered better and more elaborate compared to the second half? What do you skip from that album? I'll admit that I go from 100% attention with Primal Breath to maybe 70% attention by the end of the album, but there's nothing remotely skipworthy on it afaik.

Oh, I should add that I make an exception for most covers. No point in listening to an inferior copy. With 60s soul it's almost mandatory with shit like I'm A Believer popping up on the Four Tops' Reach Out.

Definitely controversial to some here:

Stoner Doom > Trad Doom
Tech/Prog Thrash > Thrash/Death > Crossover > Black/Thrash
OSDM > Tech Death > Brutal Death
Prog Metal > Traditional Heavy Metal

1. only if you are stoned and want that extra chilled out experience, otherwise not even close.
2. Thrash/Death > Black/Thrash > Tech/Prog Thrash > Crossover
3. Close call with tech and brutal death with me. Lots of good classics in each, but I really dont like where either genre is these days. Id put them roughly on par, but a slight edge to brutal death.
4. As much as id like to disagree, I can see where you are coming from. Its almost an apples to oranges comparison to me, since the genre of prog metal is just so much more diverse. But if I were to pick one, it would have to be heavy metal.

I'm rarely home long enough to listen to albums. I often sleep at friends and family's houses during the week because I live far from work. I go out on the weekends. So the iPod gets constant use here.

Most of my music listening is done on the go, so for me it is either my iPod or spotify on the cell phone. Though at home I rip my music archive in lossless to my PC and listen from there.

I rarely ever listen to vinyl, and I never really got into cassettes. I had a handful of hand me down cassettes from my father when I first started listening to music as a kid on my Walkman, but CD has been out ever since I started building my own collection. It was more convenient and sounded better, but I can understand the whole retro/analog experience of cassettes. I have yet to buy into the 'comeback' of the cassette, and probably wont bother.