Controversial opinions on metal

Gentle Giant is easily some of the best prog rock and I wish the stuff on the previous page wasn't deleted because it seems like it would have been fun.

He claims that I told him in a PM years ago that I am a woman, but afaik I have never messaged him in my life.

Fucking weird.

That's not an on-topic post either. Either way, it's generally agreed that early heavy metal and heavy rock bands such as Sir Lord Baltimore, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rainbow and Deep Purple all existed at a time when heavy metal was in its formative state and that bands that followed in their footsteps such as Judas Priest helped create the more modern sound associated with heavy metal throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

i don't really agree with putting sabbath on that list. many would consider them to have created THE definitive heavy metal sound, or at least to be just as directly influential on modern metal as priest; they were way ahead of their time and the progression isn't so linear as you make it sound (although i do get where you're coming from). i agree that the others on that list occupy more of a grey area though.

Black Sabbath, while clearly a heavy metal band, definitely had a lot in common with the blues-based hard rock bands of that area, much more than the style that Judas Priest would develop into by the late 1970s. I also stated that some of the bands in that part are heavy metal bands by right. It's still clear that Judas Priest moved forward in a way that Black Sabbath did not.

Queen is also a pretty underrated influence on the development of heavy metal as it lost the blues influence, as cited by Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and other bands that began to play metal at this time.

I think Lucifer's Friend's Ride the Sky might be a more complete heavy metal song than anything on the first two Sabbath albums tbh.