Controversial opinions on metal

Punk wasn't around in the early 70's?

I don't remember saying well they didn't thrash as hard.

I'd prefer to just call these songs you cited as proto-Heavy Metal, going any further than that and you start getting into specific traits that make a genre what it is that these songs don't have, except for speed.

I'd prefer to just call these songs you cited as proto-Heavy Metal, going any further than that and you start getting into specific traits that make a genre what it is that these songs don't have, except for speed.

Man just listen to those songs, those riffs. Power chords with low note chugging inbetween. Symptom of the universe with that riff around 2:00 - no chugging but still pretty thrashy sounding riff. Relatively simple, but quite fast drumming. Sure, DP don't have the heaviness and BS don't have to aggression and wilderness, and that's partially problem of the gear that was available at the time, but if you take all the songs posted by TB you can find a thrash song in there.

I see Thrash as a mix of NWOBHM/speed metal and punk. I'd call the songs he listed proto-speed metal, which in turn would be half of proto-thrash i suppose.

Personally I'd call JP's "Rapid Fire" and Motorhead's "Overkill" proto-thrash.