Controversial opinions on metal

Was just about to say Manowar myself.

That's not how you spell Holy Diver. Painkiller is the Priest album I like the least.

Screaming for Vengeance, Sin After Sin, Sad Wings etc are all sufficient choices.

:kickass:

I don't really like Painkiller either.

For me, the most traditional Metal album would be Mob Rules or Angel Witch or something, though most of the choices named in here I wouldn't disagree with in any meaningful way.
Fuck, Don't Break The Oath and Heaven & Hell are great choices too.
Hell, Piece Of Mind should get a mention.

PAINKILLER is just ridiculously headbangable fun. obviously doesn't hold a candle to their best work but its surface pleasures alone make it superior to some of the lesser priest albums.

Melissa is a fine candidate for most METAL imo. It's pure trad with no hard rock-y songs, but is excessive and extreme in so many ways. Could also mention the first Slauter Xstroyes album.

Also, while I wouldn't say JP's Demolition is one of their best beyond the 70s, it is a good album. Better than Defenders, at least.

Listened to it twice, and the only song I'm really liking is If Eternity Should Fail. The songs don't suffer from repetitive choruses or predictable structure as much as some of the previous ones, but there don't seem to be a lot of ideas on it. Plus a lot of self-plagiarism.

so i actually decided to listen to some traditional metal its not that bad, listening to the first few songs on this album and Saxons pretty good, take my earlier words for granted, they mean nothing now

heres the compilation video I'm watching now:

Last edited by a moderator:
Their best in over 10 years

I would tend to agree.

I like that it's broken into two digestible pieces. The first cd is great. The second is marred by the 18 minute outro but otherwise pretty decent. I've also had If Eternity Should Fail stuck in my head all weekend

Edit: Saxon was great when they were on task btw. I don't even mind their attempts at hair metal but I can see why people despise that era.

Grim Reaper is definitely my favorite so far, destroys anything else I've heard

already getting to hard for me to listen to though, they repeat riffs in the music I've heard so far, way too much, a lot of black metal does that too but for some reason i can't stand it

Rock You to Hell is the best Grim Reaper, no matter what anyone else tells you (aside from UltraBoris, he got that one right for once). Much less repetitious choruses, nice glitzy production just like their kind of pop trad needs.