Controversial opinions on metal

If I was going to be totally honest, a lot of the opinions that you express show a strong preference for mediocrity over good songwriting and musicianship.

Valid opinion, but wrong considering I like tons of stuff where the musicianship is above average. I really think your musicianship has to be above average to play anything in the genre so saying I like music that exhibits poor musicianship is nonsensical. It's like professional athletes: People say 'x person sucks' but they'll never have the talent to play at that level and don't understand what it takes to get there. Do they suck relative to 'y person'? That could be a debate and it's certainly manifested everywhere. Do you or I suck compared to a professional athlete? Yes.

I'm not really sure how you can say that the songwriting on SFV is inferior to the 70s stuff. If anything it's equal, but not necessarily better. SFV is probably the best 80s album from them IMO.

It's inferior by virtue of being less complex and more inherently made to be catchy and commercially friendly for '80s rock radio. It's clearly a less ambitiously crafted album guilty of being much more driven by vocals and edging closer to arena rock.

Also, tough guy '80s Halford trying to sound like everyone else on the radio sucks compared to his '70s use of his actual vocal ability to sing complex, powerful vocal parts that aren't present on the '80s music.

Pain & Pleasure is the way a slow, dirty Priest S&M song should sound. Love it, I'd take it over Love Bites or Love it to Death any day. It may still be one of the weaker songs on SFV, relatively speaking, but it's still great.

And what are you comparing SFV to when you say it's more simplistic and "arena rock"? You could apply that to anything from Hell Bent through Ram it Down, if you're comparing it to the peak 70s material. Who cares tho.

I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed my more simplistic, chorus-driven songs after the incredible composition of their prime material in the '70s.

Who else sounded like 80s Halford? And what "complex" vocal parts are you referring to; do you just mean the super-high register stuff? Earlier Priest was more ambitious than 80s Priest but it wasn't ever exactly prog. Nothing wrong with simplistic, chorus-driven songs, which can easily describe at least half of an album like Sad Wings of Destiny regardless.

Who else sounded like 80s Halford? And what "complex" vocal parts are you referring to; do you just mean the super-high register stuff? Earlier Priest was more ambitious than 80s Priest but it wasn't ever exactly prog. Nothing wrong with simplistic, chorus-driven songs, which can easily describe at least half of an album like Sad Wings of Destiny regardless.

Yea, nobody screams like 80s Halford.

Americans fucking irritate me in general.

On one hand you guys are obsessed with #NotAllMuslims bullshit, but on the other hand it's #BlameAllMuslims.
You're all pathetic and I hate you.

The extremists in Islam blew up thousands of you pussies on your own soil and as a result you're too scared to even criticize Islam and censor shit so you don't cause uproars? Just decline already you fucking losers.

Ignorant much? And that hashtag shit is really profound, you have opened my eyes :rolleyes:

The vocal melodies and arrangements on a lot of 1970s Judas Priest songs were fairly complex, and often featured multiple vocal tracks and varying vocal lines that were a far cry from the simple ones used in their 1980s music.

The structure of the verses also tended to be much more variable and more demanding to perform as well, due to the significantly more verbose lyrical lines on a lot of their earlier material. 1980s Judas Priest relied a lot more on shorter lyrical verses and more prominent chorus hooks than much of their 1970s output.

I don't get how it is relevant to say Judas Priest never went prog when nobody said anything to imply that they did, especially not while discussing vocal arrangements.

Excluding stuff like Epitaph and Dreamer Deceiver (aka non-metal ballads which hardly represent their sound), I need examples. Unless you mean like The Ripper where technically yeah there are multiple vocal tracks but hardly do anything "complex" with them.

Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest
Sinner
Dissident Aggressor
Almost every track on Stained Class

Gee, too bad these are all ballads that don't well represent their musical style.

I'm glad that you didn't even try to argue that the structure of the verses are clearly more complex in arrangement though, because that's inarguable.