Controversial opinions on metal

Slowly We Rot or nothing for me.

Here's something, this was posted in the song rating thread and I still haven't gotten over how shit it is, apparently the front woman is well respected in Metal or something, is it just me or is this like P!nk with riffs?

Oh and I had a chuckle at the dad-rock thing, so fucking true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the lyrics and vocal style are really reminiscent of what you described. The music is bad anyway.

Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest
Sinner
Dissident Aggressor
Almost every track on Stained Class

Gee, too bad these are all ballads that don't well represent their musical style.

I'm glad that you didn't even try to argue that the structure of the verses are clearly more complex in arrangement though, because that's inarguable.

What, the brief and basically-echoed "God of the Devils" part? The multi-tracked scream at the end of Dissident Aggressor? If you're not going to give specifics, I'll just lol @ the idea that this is any more "complex" than this.

You could give an example for the complexity in arrangement too, unless you mean how the earlier stuff tended to be longer and have a higher quantity of different vocal melodies, in which case sure, obviously their 3-4 minute pop-metal songs are more compact.

People that use "dad rock" seriously are subhuman, btw, exactly what I'd expect from a forum full of Ares Kingdom and The Chasm fans.

What, the brief and basically-echoed "God of the Devils" part? The multi-tracked scream at the end of Dissident Aggressor? If you're not going to give specifics, I'll just lol @ the idea that this is any more "complex" than this.

You could give an example for the complexity in arrangement too, unless you mean how the earlier stuff tended to be longer and have a higher quantity of different vocal melodies, in which case sure, obviously their 3-4 minute pop-metal songs are more compact.

"Sinner" has multiple segments with more than one vocal track and anyone who has heard it would know that if they have working ears. "Dissident Aggressor" also.

And yes, there are much more variable vocal melodies that use much more complex variety of words and variation in syllables and emphasis in their earlier music, including the song "Exciter" being a structurally more varied and complex song vocally than their 1980s output.

I'll admit that I intentionally ration the number of times I listen to 70s Priest so that it's all the more enjoyable when I do, so I'm going off memory, but srsly, point to a specific part in Dissident Aggressor.

Variation in syllables? You listen to music and count syllables and make judgments of complexity and consequently quality? You're more autistic than me. :lol: I hope you realize that the main verses of Exciter are actually quite rigid; six syllables, pause, then five syllables per line, and there's nothing melodically fantastic about them either. Of course, that's part of the point; it's an aggressive speed metal song and it fits the riffing. However, it's no more complicated than any of the speed metal songs to be found in 80s Priest.

Little difference between Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death to me. But Slowly We Rot is slightly better.

Huge difference for me, besides structural differences there's a big difference in production, but I seem to be the only person in here that cares about that kinda shit.

Oh and I hate the term "dad rock" myself, with you there man.
But I get what it's meant to mean and sometimes it makes sense.

I always preferred Cause of Death. Better production and James Murphy leads.

Tomb of the Mutilated is indeed the best CC album but I have a special place for Butchered at Birth for some reason.

Self titled is best Deicide by a mile.

Eaten Back to Life is much better than given credit for. Would be a cult classic if any band but CC released it.

Also, I'll take the first four Deicide album over a fuckton of death metal.