Controversial opinions on metal

No, we don't.

Controversial opinion - Sorcery is Kataklysm's only good full length album.

Controversial opinion - I have almost totally rebelled against Cookie Monster vocals in Metal. If a band is going to use them, there had better be a reason of sorts, and they should impress just as much as any other instrument. I think Metal has forgotten just how important the singer (note here singer, not vocalist) of the band is. Yes, yes, blistering guitars still reign supreme, but few things in Metal can ruin a good sound like an awful frontman. I am not sure Metal can even advance as an art form until it moves past its current reliance on growls, squeals, and other fucking animal noises being passed off as something worth listening to, and into something that can be considered by the layman as talented pipes.

The lead singer of a worthwhile Metal band should be able to go up on that stupid fucking Americas Got Talent shitshow and blow the rest of the contestants out of the water.

Only controversial among experienced metalheads like those in this forum. Pretty much everyone I introduce to metal doesn't like the growled vocals. It takes time. Eventually, you'll get it. Eventually you may even prefer them.

The "advance as an art form" comment is completely off base.

Also, why would serious metal listeners care whether or not a layman thought someone was a good singer?

Only controversial among experienced metalheads like those in this forum. Pretty much everyone I introduce to metal doesn't like the growled vocals. It takes time. Eventually, you'll get it. Eventually you may even prefer them.

Yeah, but I have been listening to Metal since the late 80's and Death Metal since its inception. I do like it, its just that sometimes I think it is overused in Metal nowadays, and that at times its used to cover up the fact that the vocalist isn't all that good (that might be more of the type of complaint I am trying to make). At this point, I am rebelling against it somewhat.

Also, why would serious metal listeners care whether or not a layman thought someone was a good singer?

That is not what I am saying. I just think that the next evolution of Metal should have vocals that could be universally regarded as good. It is not a matter of "care".

Uneasy_Conscience was SO right. I should have never opened this can of worms.

That is not what I am saying. I just think that the next evolution of Metal should have vocals that could be universally regarded as good. It is not a matter of "care".

Uneasy_Conscience was SO right. I should have never opened this can of worms.

There is no style of singing that everyone will enjoy. This is an unrealistic expectation from a genre that tends to put less emphasis on traditional verse-chorus song structure a lot of the time.

Extreme metal intentionally has extreme vocals and will never be a genre driven by singers who appear on American Idol or other shows like that.

. At this point, I am rebelling against it somewhat.

That's just hurting yourself though (maybe you're into that sort of thing). But if you limit yourself you're missing out on some of the most talented/passionate about metal musicians such as guitarists, drummers, bassists and keyboardists in bands with growled vocals.

It's not at all a strawman when he says that metal singers would need to be good enough to compete on a similar show during his argument about why good singing is required to advance metal and why he feels vocals are the driving force required for it to move forward in the first place. I assume that you didn't read that at all.

Try to appreciate how harsh vocals (being mostly unintelligible) can be vocalized to better match the melody of the music, not being as constrained by the specific sounds of the words needed to tell the story of the song. In a sense they're just another instrument and one could argue there is an added benefit of not being distracted by the story, and being left wholly to appreciate the music itself. Speaking personally, I very rarely look up the lyrics of a song. The album art and song titles are enough to paint a more general mental picture, which I actually prefer to be left blurry.

Interesting. The key to "getting over" extreme vocals for me was actually to read them while listening to the songs.

Two paths to the same destination I suppose. You're probably better off not fighting it and just appreciating them for what they are rather than trying to "get over it." But for me sonic considerations far outweigh the literary so YMMV. I'm the same with other media though in a very black-and-white way. For example: I don't really care about the story in games, prioritizing pure gameplay over all else. Story (IMO) in its purest form is presented via book or movie so that's where I look for it.