Controversial opinions on metal

Since we are discussing it, I find TSOP to be a haphazardly-arranged mess of riffs and sections, slapped-together for the sake of appearing "progressive" when in reality it's just lazy songwriting. There really isn't much to "get" with the album.

i know you just got off the whole Death conversation, I'm going to say TSOP is there best album by far. Of course SBG is considered amazing because it "the first death metal album" but its really only a good gateway album to death metal as a whole then you find even better stuff.

TSOP is really the album where Chuck took his shit to the next level and released quality stuff, very technical but still death metal. And his vocals were like a fucking demons. Richard Christy's drumming fucking destroys any other Death albums. When you first listen to it, it can come off as spastic but once you really start listening it fits perfect.

i like to call it organized chaos

Last edited by a moderator:
i also think part of the reason SOP can come off awkward is because Chuck was wanting to do something different and more melodic and couldn't do it with death but tried it anyway to a limited extent.

TSOP would probably be about on par with ITP if the songs were much shorter and Spirit Crusher removed entirely. I don't think it's really that haphazard, it's still full of stereotypical Schuldiner riffs. The drumming is spazzier but whatevs.

Also, Vuvr and Wayd are a lot jazzier than a lot of the stuff mentioned above.

i know you just got off the whole Death conversation, I'm going to say TSOP is there best album by far. Of course SBG is considered amazing because it "the first death metal album" but its really only a good gateway album to death metal as a whole then you find even better stuff.

Nope, it's considered amazing because it's amazing, I never found another Death Metal album I thought was even better, there are definitely other albums I prefer but not by much.

early death is so feckin' great. closest stuff to tech death i like is early ATG, atheist, crimson massacre, atrocity, demilich, pavor, stargazer etc.

Chucks ability to make the catchiest but still hammering riffs was impressive but its all down to what you prefer. i mean I'm not denying Deaths amazingness, they are what got me into metal. But theres different qualities of death metal people like. my favorite SBG song by far is this track:

off topic but Necrophagists onset of putrefaction is 15 days older then me

Like any good progressive music it takes a few spins to 'get' and most people give up before they reach that point, claiming it's no good.

This. I used to hate the album, now it's easily my top favorite.

and I dare any vocalists out there to try and cover Chuck's vocals in the Painkiller cover song.

I like Death. I listened to Death a lot at somepoint. My only problem is chuck worked with really good musicians and did not let them do shit.

Screams of Anguish is near perfect. Top ten material for me. And for the record there are loads of legitimately shit OSDM bands.

This album always bored me to tears. Cool artwork though.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzEha2_plE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzEha2_plE[/ame]

Maybe not controversial, but been listening to a decent bit of Korpiklaani the past few days since hearing Rauta on youtube. I previously wrote them off as party metal (Most of their music still is either filler or terrible songs about alcohol) but there are some gems to be found ie...

Controversial opinion - I have almost totally rebelled against Cookie Monster vocals in Metal. If a band is going to use them, there had better be a reason of sorts, and they should impress just as much as any other instrument. I think Metal has forgotten just how important the singer (note here singer, not vocalist) of the band is. Yes, yes, blistering guitars still reign supreme, but few things in Metal can ruin a good sound like an awful frontman. I am not sure Metal can even advance as an art form until it moves past its current reliance on growls, squeals, and other fucking animal noises being passed off as something worth listening to, and into something that can be considered by the layman as talented pipes.

The lead singer of a worthwhile Metal band should be able to go up on that stupid fucking Americas Got Talent shitshow and blow the rest of the contestants out of the water.