Controversial opinions on metal

No riffs, no Metal.

Cynic is overrated garbage and verrrrrry low on the list of metal I want to listen to.

tumblr_mtjmyrccx71qhrr12o1_400.gif

I'm jazzing in agreement.

It's not just the riffing, I think the whole band is pretty loose on Unquestionable Presence when compared to a band like Cynic. It's not a bunch of college trained jazz/metal musicians, it's a bunch of hacks with natural flair trying to play crazy technical metal with some jazz influence. Obviously the band are more tight on Elements and the drummer has better trained technique than Steve Flynn, but really the album is a pretty boring listen when compared to UP. And yeah the production doesn't help either.

Also I listened to a bunch of YouTube videos and you're right, he can't play Mineral. He also can't play Mother Man. I actually had to stop Mother Man because he was butchering it so badly.

I agree completely that Cynic is more rigid that any Atheist release. Just doesn't bother me in that particular case. As a general rule of thumb I prefer my tech-metal less clinical too tbh.

JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST

It's actually a pretty decent album, but lotsa goofy shit on that one too. Much better than the new Cynic and Pestilence albums, at least.

JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST
JESUS FAUX KING CHRIST

It's actually a pretty decent album, but lotsa goofy shit on that one too. Much better than the new Cynic and Pestilence albums, at least.

Yeah that is the weakest track on the album for sure. But I thought lyrics and vocals didn't matter lol. The first half of the album is good imo.

It's not the lyrics or vocals, just the repetition/ham-fisted chorus. Actually, iirc the rest of the song has some of my favorite moments. Have they said anything about why they haven't done another yet? I thought there was talk that they'd have a follow-up relatively soon but now it's pushing 5 years.

I'm not sure why racism is viewed as pretty much the worst thing in the world even over murderers and rapists. It's pretty ridiculous how many bands you'll see on the metal archives proclaiming they aren't racist on their main page. Bands like Svolder, GBK, and Arghoslent just rock, that's it.

When you're doing any type of performance or entertainment, you have to assume responsibility for your actions. It's the right of any venue or event to bar your performance if your views are offensive or racist and I think it's dumb to criticize business owners for not wanting to be associated with racists.

Thinking that criticism (of anything) is dumb, is dumb.

I didn't say I disagree with them being removed from the bill, even though Disma has nothing to do with his private views, I agree that they should be allowed to choose who they associate with, I personally just don't give a fuck.

Also, supporting Disma is not supporting Pillard's views.

I like Disma and I do read lyrics. I've been reading lyrics since I was a teen, but I guess I did not read their lyrics. Regardless I think people should be able to express themselves and write about whatever. I don't have a problem with black people.

Sorry, but being critical of other people's criticism because you find it unintelligent and based around illogical premise is definitely the opposite of dumb. Besides, not all criticism should be approached as though there is any chance that it is valid since it is often based around agenda and misinformation.

Regardless of whether Disma is a vehicle for Pillard's racism, anyone who associates with him is making a voluntary choice to associate with an openly racist person. It would be perfectly legitimate for business owners to not want to have him appearing on their lineup, regardless of whether or not the music itself is a vehicle for racism.

If you don't disagree with them being removed from the lineup, don't use it as part of your opinion or argument. It makes you look like you don't know what you're saying at all when you do. You could have just said Pillard being a racist doesn't alter your opinion on Disma, but you made it about them being removed from a show.

Craig Pillard is going to say or talk about whatever he wants anyways. I don't understand why this is an issue, this is lame. Why does anyone care, this is the dumbest shit on this forum.

Women shouldn't be allowed to play or listen to metal.

Metal is inherently racist, but that isn't universally bad.

Metal vocalists who allow women to fornicate with them lack the necessary male positive consciousness to create good metal.

Burzum was the first true metal band.

I don't even understand why women even come on the forum, they do not listen to metal music or have favorite artists/bands,etc... not that I give a fuck. And side note Burzum and black metal is gay shit. So fuck it. It has nothing to do with metal.

I don't even understand why women even come on the forum, they do not listen to metal music or have favorite artists/bands,etc... not that I give a fuck. And side note Burzum and black metal is gay shit. So fuck it. It has nothing to do with metal.

I'm pretty sure that I listen to a wider spectrum of metal than you, DD. Not that I consider that to be hard to do.