Controversial opinions on metal

Crionics is as USPM as anything an actual USPM band did, let alone some of the songs that didn't make it to the record. I mean, USPM, melodic trad metal, whatever you want to call it, that stuff is extremely Maiden-influenced with basically no thrash present.

I've always thought there was a USPM element to Show No Mercy. I prefer it to anything else they've done, but that may be to do with me not being all that into thrash anyway.

I've always thought there was a USPM element to Show No Mercy. I prefer it to anything else they've done, but that may be to do with me not being all that into thrash anyway.

Maybe it's because it has some traditional and speed elements to it. There's no "USPM" in there.

Show No Mercy isn't really thrash metal anyway.

Aahhhahaha! One after another .... this one takes the cake though. :lol:

Please enlighten us, krow. If not thrash metal, than what sub-genre would that album fall under? It's a thrash metal album ... deal with it. To say otherwise is just plain ridiculous, and quite embarrassing if you ask me.

Show No Mercy is easily my favorite Slayer album. It's clearly a thrash metal album, but it has a really prominent influence from traditional metal.

"Aggressive Perfector" is their first officially recorded song, and that's basically Judas Priest worship, Slayer style. I also love that song.

That was the first song recorded? Interesting to know.

Is it just me or did they drop most if not all of their Traditional Metal influences on Hell Awaits? It seems so much heavier, it's Slayer's Welcome To Hell somehow.

USPM is basically just a sub-style of trad anyways. I'm just sayin', there's not that big of a difference between this...

and this

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not typically a fan of DM, but I've recently been going back to listen or relisten to older classics to uncover any gems. Not at all impressed by Carcass' Heartwork, especially seeing it posted on here so often. Doesn't come close to touching Morbid Angel, early In Flames, Incantation, etc. I've no idea why this is so popular an album...

^Yeah Symphonies is always my go to Carcass album.

Not sure if this is really all that controversial but Paul Chain>every other doom metal guitarist.

Reactions: CiG
Necroticism is simply a step above Symphonies, and I really, really like Symphonies. Necroticism is probably one of the top three albums to come out post 80's, and probably a top ten metal album of all time.

P.S. I don't see how anyone can say Heartwork is garbage. I mean, just listen to the leads on "No Love Lost".

Last edited: