Controversial opinions on metal

I'm hesitant to call Between the Buried and Me a "phase" band but in hindsight that's what they essentially were for me. I bought Alaska and Colors when they were new and listened to both quite a bit. Can't remember the last time I listened to either. They could very well sound just as good to me now as they did back then its just not I'm not in any hurry to play them any time soon.

Dillinger Escape Plan I could never stand.

I don't know which band is worse: Between the Buried and Me or Dillinger Escape Plan

Dillinger are obviously the better band. I've gone off them a bit in the last few years because their sound has stagnated, but Miss Machine, Ire Works and the Patton EP are all solid. And they fucking rule live.

Broken Hope is better than 95% of the metal that is out there.

8o1oed7.png

I remember a lot of people saying that Loathing was an overlooked classic, and when I finally got around to it, it was average thrashy melodeath stuff iirc.

Both Slayer (up to Seasons) and Metallica (up to Justice) are not overrated.

Furthermore, had the Haunting the Chapel E.P. been a little more reworked, and been extended to a full album, with the unreleased tracks from the Satan's Children bootleg been added to the back of it, so that it looks something like:

1. Chemical Warfare
2. Captor of Sin
3. Haunting the Chapel
4. Aggressive Perfector
5. Assassin
6. Ice Titan
7. Night Rider
8. Simple Aggression

Not only would it have been Slayer's crowning achievement, it would have been hailed as one of metal's greatest albums ever.

There, that should do it! :devil:

Those super-early Slayer songs are really cool, almost USPM at times, but I don't think they'd fit with the Haunting material. Split Show No Mercy in half so that the thrashiest songs go to a Haunting full-length, and the remaining earliest ones make up a trad metal album, and I'd be down for declaring the former Slayer's best possible album.

Hmmm... I was in the mindset of "with Show No Mercy already released, where do they go from here.." However, I can totally see what you mean.

I'm hesitant to call Between the Buried and Me a "phase" band but in hindsight that's what they essentially were for me. I bought Alaska and Colors when they were new and listened to both quite a bit. Can't remember the last time I listened to either. They could very well sound just as good to me now as they did back then its just not I'm not in any hurry to play them any time soon.

Dillinger Escape Plan I could never stand.
I love everything up til the parallax series. Songs got boring and repetitive. I would still like to see them live tho.