Controversial opinions on metal

Thrash was the first genre of metal I really got into. It is now death metal. I imagine at some point it will be black metal.

Black metal is my favourite genre of metal. Like any genre there are more poor examples than good, but overall that's where I cast my vote.

Thrash and life-affirming death metal (in jogging suits with lyrics about politics, to paraphrase Oystein) just don't rate by comparison. Of course I'm exaggerating and I do like plenty of bands in those genres too.

slayer, exodus, destruction, vio-lence, sepultura, metallica, overkill, voivod, sodom, sarcofago, mutilator, magnus, shah, aura noir, deceased, infernal majesty, slaughter, sacrifice, razor, carnivore, demolition hammer, holy terror, hypnosia, rigor mortis, aspid, coroner

that's my considered counter-argument to thrash sucking.
Yeah I like most of those bands too, but tbh, the last time I put on an album by any of this bands was quite awhile ago, I mean I've listened to Coroner in 2015 and I think I put on the Hypnosia-album atleast once but thats about it. I struggle to fint reasons not to just listen to some good OSDM or some epic trad metal instead.

One problem I think is that while thrash ofta has great riffs and good songs they aren't conveying the right atmosphere and escapism I usually seek when putting on some music.

Reactions: JontRevolting
I really don't see how it's possible with both Black Metal and Death Metal.

Maybe with the early stuff, but there's a discernible difference with both at this point that I can see that happening. Thrash and Death toe the line so much even today that I don't think it's possible to dislike one or the other without seeming contradictory.

Maybe with the early stuff, but there's a discernible difference with both at this point that I can see that happening. Thrash and Death toe the line so much even today that I don't think it's possible to dislike one or the other without seeming contradictory.

This is true, the connections between Thrash Metal and Death Metal is especially muddied and hard to see/feel.

Yeah I like most of those bands too, but tbh, the last time I put on an album by any of this bands was quite awhile ago, I mean I've listened to Coroner in 2015 and I think I put on the Hypnosia-album atleast once but thats about it. I struggle to fint reasons not to just listen to some good OSDM or some epic trad metal instead.

One problem I think is that while thrash ofta has great riffs and good songs they aren't conveying the right atmosphere and escapism I usually seek when putting on some music.
This 100%.

No shame at all. For some reason, over the last month I have been on a Destruction kick. I just finished listening to "Satan's Vengeance". I love the way that song finishes. Some of their stuff is like a thrash version of freebasing crystal meth. Just a quick shot and you are so fucking good. It is hard to give due time and credit to new stuff in the face of that.

Last edited:
My idea of 'good' black metal is usually heavily tinged with doom and atmospheric almost to the point of 'savage symphonic', so I think it's very possible to like one and not the other. For the most part, I'm not a big thrash fan. I honestly find it, and most other high-tempo music, exhausting.

Unless I'm at a show. Then I love it. Different situations for different music for sure.

Is it possible to like Death Metal and dislike Thrash? It would be a bit contradictory.

i've ran across some weirdos like that. Even a few over here throughout the years. Its usually some youngster who got into death metal around the late 90's or early 00's when thrash had largely declined. They all eventually come around, as expected.

Also, Russian Aspid fucking rules! :kickass:

The Black Metal paradox is much more understandable, it's Death Metal that is most confusing to me. Black Metal for better or worse was always about some sort of atmosphere, so Thrash Metal doesn't always need to be involved. (Though for me it pretty much always does.)