Controversial opinions on metal

i don't necessarily think it's weird for DM/BM-heads not to like quite a few strains of thrash if they're largely into '90s stuff rather than '80s. the appeal of a lot of thrash (NOT all) to me is like the appeal of b-movies or comic books; knowingly, gleefully irreverent, spontaneous, exhilarating. '90s DM and especially BM tends to be more considered, subtle, mystical, serious. there's a shitload of overlap, exceptions etc, just talking about general trends. i love both, myself, but i do think they often scratch different itches, both of equal importance to me personally. on the flipside, i don't think it's possible to love one metal sub-genre and outright dislike another, there's just too much overlap even in cases where it isn't immediately apparent and i suspect anyone who dismisses a whole genre just hasn't made a legitimate attempt to get into it. i've been guilty of this at various times in my life but i've come to realise there's something in most genres for everybody, even non-metal genres, you've just gotta acclimatise and dig deep enough.

weird thing about me is that my absolute favourite metal albums of all time are probably death metal albums, but for a few years now i've been less excited about DM than i am about BM, thrash or the various trad sub-genres. it's possible i've just heard too many homogenous murky incantation rip offs and immolation wannabes with extra dissonance etc in recent times, idk.

Reactions: Vilden and Omni
"Considered, subtle, mysterious" are terms I only hear applied to bands like The Chasm, Demigod, Timeghoul, etc. The kind of death metal that all the cool kids love is different from most thrash in that sense, but most 90s death metal is going to be closer to Death or Entombed or Suffocation or something.

"Black metal" is the most ambiguous and undefined genre in all of metal, so it needs to be clear what is being discussed. There are black/thrash bands that are basically just revivals of the same old early Bathory and Destruction ideas over and over, so yeah it would be silly to hate one and love the other when the main defining differences are just recording quality, vocal style, and aesthetic. Drudkh has virtually nothing in common with pre-Burzum metal though. You can find many more things in metalcore in common with thrash metal than "atmospheric black metal", yet your average metalhead probably dismisses that genre too. I think the main issue is that people are more into image than music itself, so you get a lot of people worshiping strum a-strum a-strum rock music just because they sing about pagan shit or whatever.

I fucking love death metal in all its forms but I rarely listen to thrash anymore. I like it, but I never have that urge. I guess I need to find some new, good thrash bands. Bands like Vektor don't really do anything for me.

I think the main issue is that people are more into image than music itself, so you get a lot of people worshiping strum a-strum a-strum rock music just because they sing about pagan shit or whatever.

People like something I don't like so they must not actually like it.

Reactions: CiG
I get so sick of all the waffling on people do trying to dissect Metal...you either like it or you don't/it's either good or bad. I can't imagine these kinds of discussions taking place back in the 80's. But I guess this is an Internet forum and that is to be expected. But o how I yearn to witness some pseudo intellectual fuck waffle on to a proper old school banger and the dude just says wtf and smashes a beer bottle over his head.

This obviously isn't my opinion, but can people who don't like Rob Halford's voice talk about why exactly they don't like it? That's an opinon that I've seen here before, including recently, but not one that I have an easy time understanding if the people who hold it enjoy traditional metal. This is especially true in reference to Halford in the 1970s.

This obviously isn't my opinion, but can people who don't like Rob Halford's voice talk about why exactly they don't like it? That's an opinon that I've seen here before, including recently, but not one that I have an easy time understanding if the people who hold it enjoy traditional metal. This is especially true in reference to Halford in the 1970s.

I think that's acceptable only because for some reason people's ears are built differently and can only take certain frequencies..

"Considered, subtle, mysterious" are terms I only hear applied to bands like The Chasm, Demigod, Timeghoul, etc. The kind of death metal that all the cool kids love is different from most thrash in that sense, but most 90s death metal is going to be closer to Death or Entombed or Suffocation or something.

"Black metal" is the most ambiguous and undefined genre in all of metal, so it needs to be clear what is being discussed. There are black/thrash bands that are basically just revivals of the same old early Bathory and Destruction ideas over and over, so yeah it would be silly to hate one and love the other when the main defining differences are just recording quality, vocal style, and aesthetic. Drudkh has virtually nothing in common with pre-Burzum metal though. You can find many more things in metalcore in common with thrash metal than "atmospheric black metal", yet your average metalhead probably dismisses that genre too. I think the main issue is that people are more into image than music itself, so you get a lot of people worshiping strum a-strum a-strum rock music just because they sing about pagan shit or whatever.

my fav DM bands are the chasm, early ATG, demigod etc so yea maybe i'm in the minority and projecting etc. i will prob respond more intelligently when i'm not shitfaced and dependent on 1am drunk pizza for sanity

people who don't like rob halford's voice are wankers and perhaps the best solution is to throw these people in the gas chambers

Reactions: The Butt and Omni
I get so sick of all the waffling on people do trying to dissect Metal...you either like it or you don't/it's either good or bad. I can't imagine these kinds of discussions taking place back in the 80's. But I guess this is an Internet forum and that is to be expected. But o how I yearn to witness some pseudo intellectual fuck waffle on to a proper old school banger and the dude just says wtf and smashes a beer bottle over his head.

I love the spirit of this post, but it misses the fact that it's not the 80's anymore and now, being into Metal means you need to be a lot pickier.
In the 80's being a Slayer fan meant you loved Death Metal, the lines were more blurred. Now you meet "Death Metal fanatics" that don't even like Slayer.

People like something I don't like so they must not actually like it.

Nah, there's a shitton of music I don't like that I realize isn't for me, but to act like black metal is still so close that any fan of x metal should be able to enjoy it is about on par with "Hey, nu metal has METAL in the name, it's no different from thrash metal". Black metal as a real genre, not just an aesthetic variation of trad or thrash metal, is very different in form and purpose from most metal prior to it.

Because in most instances it comes off as the person being an absolute cunt.
"I've noticed a certain anti-intellectualism going around this country; since about 1980, coincidentally enough. I was in Nashville, Tennessee, and after the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, but I was hungry. I'm sitting there eating and reading a book. I don't know anybody, I'm alone, so I'm reading a book. The waitress comes over to me like, "What'chu readin' for?" I had never been asked that. Not "What am I reading?", but "What am I reading for?" Goddangit, you stumped me. Hmm, why do I read? I suppose I read for a lot of reasons; one of the main ones being so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress."
—Bill Hicks

ive heard all of priests albums except for the new one and the non-halford ones. i just find the music in general not to my taste. im also not a maiden fan. sure both bands have their moments. i cant really say i dislike them strictly because of the vocals, because i enjo bands with far inferior vocalists. for example, i love sabbath and all their different singers.

however, im not a big trad metal guy. sabbath, pagan altar, slough feg, manowar, virgin steele, solstice are some bands i really enjoy though.

in the end, the explanation is that there doesnt have to be an explanation. lots of people like mcdonalds. i cant stand that shit. but ill take Chick Fil-A all day.

Reactions: The Ozzman
"I've noticed a certain anti-intellectualism going around this country; since about 1980, coincidentally enough. I was in Nashville, Tennessee, and after the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, but I was hungry. I'm sitting there eating and reading a book. I don't know anybody, I'm alone, so I'm reading a book. The waitress comes over to me like, "What'chu readin' for?" I had never been asked that. Not "What am I reading?", but "What am I reading for?" Goddangit, you stumped me. Hmm, why do I read? I suppose I read for a lot of reasons; one of the main ones being so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress."
—Bill Hicks

That didnt answer my statement (per usual)

Last edited:
That didnt answer my statement (per usual)
It's hard to answer with anything when the statement itself doesn't really say anything either. LEL

Also Black Metal and At War With Satan are Certified Manly™ albums. People who hate them are probably gay.

Last edited: