Controversial opinions on metal

I don't understand all the hate for Anthrax. Among the Living, Spreading the Disease, Persistence of Time and Worship Music are all good albums. And live in concert they are really fun and put on an entertaining show.

You're the Ed Sheeran of metal. Anthrax is just the worst of the big four. They've got some good stuff and a whole lot of bad stuff. Limp Bizkit is terrible and Fred Durst is one of the top 5 douchebags in the world.
Limp Bizkit are steal-yo-girl masters, dawg.

Also Anthrax is gay. Literally nothing they have ever written is worth listening to.

:dance:

Fistful of Metal is pretty weak. The energy/rawness is there, but the songs are mostly forgettable. Nowhere near what the other big names of thrash were doing.

Not sure if controversial, but: listening to Quartz's Stand Up and Fight for the first time in forever, and is it just me or does this sound like it may have been influential on the early Trouble sound? It's not doom metal but there's still a bit of Sabbath in here, and more than that there's something just a little tricky/off-beat about some of these riffs (see the chorus of Circles for a big one) in the way that makes Trouble distinct, and even the vocals vaguely remind me of Eric Wagner, not as scratchy or anything but kinda desperate/whiny but in a good way. Like, if Trouble had an album from 1980 that was the prototype of Assassin and such, it would sound like this album. I've got to put this one on regular rotation, I always liked their first album a good bit, but never gave this one much of a chance. Even the recording/guitar tone is really beefy like Psalm 9.

Are we listening to the same album? Quartz is absolutely at the wimpiest end of NWOBHM. Circles is a B side and not on the album which is why it sounds considerably different and much heavier than anything else on Stand Up... There's no comparison in Trouble's godly (pun intended) guitar tone and Quartz's super quiet, limp wristed one.

Dunno, probably less wimpy than Demon, Def Leppard, Dark Star, Witchfynde, at least. It's definitely much more rocking and melodic than Trouble; by "prototype of Assassin" I meant take the most NWOBHM-influenced parts of early Trouble, and then go backwards from there. In honesty it was actually the pre-chorus of the title track that immediately reminded me of something from the Run to the Light album somehow, so maybe that caused me to listen to the entire rest of the album trying to hear Trouble in the album, but whatevs, at the very least I'm hearing more Sabbath than I did previously as well as more interesting songwriting than a lot of the NWOBHM.

re: tone/production, listening again right now to make sure I wasn't just delirious last night when I made that post, and the tone may come also more from the really highly mixed bass guitar, but I definitely wouldn't call it limp wristed and quiet. I think it might be more the type of riffing rather than the tone; take the chorus of Rock n Roll Child, mostly nothing that heavy, but there's that one (admittedly simple) chugging riff under the chorus around 1:10, and off the top of my head I can't think of any metal recorded in 1980 that sounds quite that thick. Or listening to Wildfire again right now, and those toms in the intro just sound a lot more meaty than what you'd get in most metal circa 1980 (even Maiden's first was notoriously weak in certain aspects of its production). I love how this album sounds.

Reactions: CiG
I don't understand all the hate for Anthrax. Among the Living, Spreading the Disease, Persistence of Time and Worship Music are all good albums. And live in concert they are really fun and put on an entertaining show.
I disagree with Worship Music being good album. It's not better than their John Bush stuff, it's weaker IMO writing wise, really dull, not funny, no good riffs, Belladonna's voice is pretty crappy and the songs do not fit him very well. I don't know why it has such a good reviews and responses, probably because of the hype.

When was the last time you listened to Worship Music? It took me a while to get into it and I think it is an album that has gotten better with age. Easily the best album from the big four in the last 20 years. It has some great songs, I'm Alive, In the End, The Giant, The Devil You Know, Judas Priest, and my personal favorite, Fight 'Em 'Till You Can't.

Ok, I just re-listened to Spreading the Disease and Among the Living with as open and unbiased a mind as possible and they are excellent and very good, respectively. Spreading the Disease needs to be remastered again (a new album cover wouldn't hurt either). That fucking album has always had volume problems.