Controversial opinions on metal

It's the last track on the demo tape you posted. Killer track. But yeah, we might just never get to hear the original demo version.

Oh it is? Cheers I didn't notice that. I just adore 1989 as a year in death metal and can never hear enough of what was going on then.

Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant, and Ian Gillan all cringe when hearing harsh extreme metal vocals.

You think the previous generation of rockers didn't cringe when they heard Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant and Ian Gillan? I'm sure Elvis loved the idea Rod Stewart screeching over the sound of obscenely heavy and loud Jeff Beck riffs.

I cringe every time you post, but anyway.

Your claim that -

Extreme metal bands that came later have a complete cluelessness about this musical foundation, and it's sickening, to be perfectly frank.

- is ignorance combined with arrogance bordering on retardation and I'm sorry to insult you but it's true.

You think "extreme" metal bands don't know the roots of a culture they've lived in for most of their life? You think Fenriz doesn't understand the value of Uriah Heep?
You think "extreme" metal bands that often feature band members with side projects that lean in a more traditional metal direction are doing so by mistake? (eg The Dagger, Valhall, Fenriz' Red Planet, Ram, Black Trip, Ghost.)
You think an interview with Rok from Sadistik Exekution accidentally had Black Sabbath playing in the background?
You think Chris Reifert from Autopsy accidentally wears KISS shirts?

You're making a fucking fool out of yourself and it's embarrassing.

But please do stick around.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Butt
LOL AT SAYING WAINDS DOESNT UNDERSTAND METAL HISTORY.

You're on the fucking moon, dude. :lol:

and tech death too right? Man, you used to be into everything.
Select tech-death bands. I liked Spawn of Possession, Necrophagist, Gorod, and Obscura a lot. Also Anata, and even a few Brain Drill songs. But it's nothing that really stuck.

Reactions: CiG
Oh it is? Cheers I didn't notice that. I just adore 1989 as a year in death metal and can never hear enough of what was going on then.

I cringe every time you post, but anyway.

Your claim that -

- is ignorance combined with arrogance bordering on retardation and I'm sorry to insult you but it's true.

You think "extreme" metal bands don't know the roots of a culture they've lived in for most of their life? You think Fenriz doesn't understand the value of Uriah Heep?
You think "extreme" metal bands that often feature band members with side projects that lean in a more traditional metal direction are doing so by mistake?
You think an interview with Rok from Sadistik Exekution accidentally had Black Sabbath playing in the background?

Hold on i said what? Im guessing you accidentally used my name in someone else's quote.

You think "extreme" metal bands that often feature band members with side projects that lean in a more traditional metal direction are doing so by mistake? (eg The Dagger, Valhall, Fenriz' Red Planet, Ram, Black Trip, Ghost.)

I think that on a musical level, they are clueless insofar as to how to properly musically interpret the message of traditional heavy metal bands. And forgive me for saying so, but you appear to be clueless as well. It's quite disgraceful for someone to claim to be a Black Sabbath fan, or claim to be inspired by Sabbath, and yet produce something that has NOTHING at all to do with their music. Ozzy Osbourne himself says, "People come up to me and say, 'Your Sabbath work was a big influence on me.' I could go, 'Oh, yeah, I can see that,' but other bands… what part of that is inspired by us? Some of it is just angry people screaming down a microphone!" This excerpt is a pretty clear illustration of my point.

Don't worry, I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. I have done nothing but calmly, rationally, and reasonably defend my point of view. My intention was never to start a flame war, but to have mature, intelligent, and healthy discourse on a subject that is very important to me.

You aren't reasonably defending your point of view when you just keep telling other people that the music they like is bad and invalid. A lot of extreme metal bands have clear musical and thematic parallels with Black Sabbath and other originating bands, whether you are aware of that or not.

I love that there apparently is a "proper" way to get influenced by a band, especially when we are talking about a music style that is historically known for being nonconformist and pushing bounderies.

Black Sabbath's music could easily be viewed as an improper interpretation of their musical forebears based solely on the criteria by which @GuiltySpawn is judging extreme metal, given the extreme departure from the bands that they were influenced by.

Another thing that it's important to realize is that Ozzy Osbourne has no sacred dominion over what type of influence people take from the music of Black Sabbath, nor would I take his words as something of substantial value as he was not generally a major contributor to the actual songwriting and composition process of Black Sabbath.

Alright. Let me take a step back for a second. Suppose I'm wrong. Where exactly am I going wrong? I'd like to know. My intention is not to push my views onto anyone or change anyone's taste. I'm only trying to give reasons behind my views and my taste in music.

So it's fine, you say, to dislike extreme metal. Is it somehow wrong for me to say that I dislike harsh vocals because of their lack of melodic quality? Is that somehow a false or ignorant claim? I'm pointing out actual facts about the nature of the music and saying that those are my reasons for disliking it. I'd like to see and understand why this is such a problematic position to hold. I get the impression you just disagree with my opinion, which is fine, but I'd like to know how my reasonings are invalid.

We don't disagree on the nature of harsh vocals, and the fact that they are not as much of a melodic nature as clean, traditional vocals. We don't disagree about the tone of extreme metal vocals having an "ugly" sound in the style they are used in. These are my reasons for disliking them. So specifically which part of my reasoning is invalid or unreasonable?

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity