Controversial opinions on metal

good cover for legion of doom

When i was obsessed with death and chuck schuldiner i would literally force myself to listen to them like a retard. I remember him saying he recorded it in a really unorthodox way, clearly evident on the recordings

Reactions: JontRevolting
I would have never expected this from you :lol:

Oh man, I bought some 7 inch records in a series of Death demo reissues and I sold those fuckers so fast. Bedroom black metal fags need to step it up within that context.

Recorded on a hollowed out Halloween pumpkin or some shit.

Edit: some of the Death demos are amazing though, fyi.

Last edited:
i tend to prefer actual/finished albums in theory because they're usually closer to what the artist intended for public consumption, but in reality there are quite a few albums that seem like compromised or sanitised versions of the preceding demos, so it's always worth checking the demos out. i think if you generalise in either direction you're gonna miss out on a lot of good shit.

Hypnotized and Mercy is no Version were far better in their demo form with Paul Baloff than on the album.

Basically this new guy has everyone telling him he is wrong and can't seem to accept that he is in fact, wrong.

Quite funny when you think about it.

You forgot about Death, son. I know you love hating on the band any chance you get, but at least give credit where its due.

True enough; I can admit when I've overlooked something, faggot. :)

Also I don't hate Death, I just hate Death after (and including most of) Individual Thought Patterns which is total shitty shit bullshit. Get it right.

Reactions: CiG
On the topic of Death I actually still really enjoy Human. One of the few extreme metal albums I adored as a teen that wasn't fucking dumb (I used to really be into that "melodeath"/extreme power metal/folk bullshit).

Reactions: RedStorm
Yeah i've never got my hands/ears on that one either. I think its only one track from what i remember.

That one track could be such a gem, but we might never know.

On the topic of Death I actually still really enjoy Human. One of the few extreme metal albums I adored as a teen that wasn't fucking dumb (I used to really be into that "melodeath"/extreme power metal/folk bullshit).

I used to be a huge fan of Human myself, though it's waned considerably over the years but it was the first death metal album I ever heard that seemed to go beyond "beer and gore and trucker hats bro" type content.

nah. most late '60s/early '70s bands were stoned off their faces and trying to make as wild of a trip as possible, which is no more highbrow of a goal than any of the ones you're railing against. if anything, that era was probably more homogenous and unthinkingly trendy than extreme metal is, though it had its fair share of gems. i'm resisting the temptation to laugh you out of the room for even talking about 'late '60s traditional metal bands' at all--i'm pretty loose about genres but c'mon, man.

anyway, forget the sounding nasty/ugly thing. to me, what defines metal as a genre from the beginning is the way it confronts the aspects of reality that popular music/culture buries under the surface. black metal and death metal are, again, the logical endpoints of this. i'm not saying they're better (i'm probably more of an '80s trad man than anything else when pushed), but they're the natural evolution thematically. the aesthetic just grows out of that. black sabbath were trying to sound darker than everybody else, trying to confront uglier truths. this isn't at odds with trying to make good music - indeed, they felt that music had to be this way TO be good. darkthrone and the rest are no fucking different, they just took it to greater extremes.

Keith Richards once said: trying to play rock and roll without the blues is like trying to build a house without the foundation. The heavy metal bands of the late 60's and early 70's had a solid musical foundation for their expressions. They built a thick, distorted sound based on blues rock and psychedelic rock. Extreme metal bands that came later have a complete cluelessness about this musical foundation, and it's sickening, to be perfectly frank.

I think your problem is that you simply don't know the roots of the musical genre that you listen to. Ozzy Osbourne, Robert Plant, and Ian Gillan all cringe when hearing harsh extreme metal vocals.