Controversial opinions on metal

yeah, 17 years? i can't believe these are your favorite bands...
Why? If a band is really, really good, why would I stop listening to it or stop liking it?

But there's so much metal out there that lists like that look silly. As Krow said, it literally looks like he simply googled "Top heavy metal bands" and copy pasted a list.
I'm not sure I understand your attitude. Yes I'm aware there's a lot more metal out there, and I've listened to it. I've heard thousands of different metal bands. Obviously I just didn't consider it to be all that good or else I would have mentioned it.

And of course I'm familiar with Pentagram and Sir Lord Baltimore. I enjoy their music of course.

I'm not sure I understand your attitude. Yes I'm aware there's a lot more metal out there, and I've listened to it. I've heard thousands of different metal bands. Obviously I just didn't consider it to be all that good or else I would have mentioned it.

I mean Ratt? Ratt and Def Leppard were better than the 'thousands' of metal bands you listened to? What were you listening to?

I fucking love Ratt and Def Leppard dude. Why is it so hard for you accept that I have indeed listened to all kinds of metal bands, and made my list based on that experience?

^ Lol

MC is definitely NOT a heavy metal band. They're a rock band. This is painfully obvious.

I agree. But do you remember when you said Metallica's black album was hard rock/not metal? :lol:

It's like someone googled heavy metal....
:rolleyes: signature krow post.

@GuiltySpawn As Baroque mentioned, outside of a couple bands not being metal, there's absolutely nothing else wrong with that list ... regardless of the shit the "uber_kvlt" types here might give you for liking "popular" bands. Although i am kind of surprised that kiss didn't make your "die hard" list! :rofl:

Last edited:
i'd be more inclined to recommend him a bunch of less known USPM, NWOBHM and proto-metal stuff, if he has the humility to take recs from lowly infidels such as us. '70s and '80s trad is a rich enough diet to sustain anyone for a lifetime.

there's much more and better stuff out there, though. also, it's not like he's a metal dinosaur that never grew past patched denim jackets and mullets. if i read correctly, he started listening to metal in 1999. there's plenty of great non trad stuff to be heard around that time.

like someone else said, it's like he looked up "what metal bands do beginners need to like to seem old school?"

better stuff than sabbath, priest, manowar, metallica, overkill, saxon, running wild, slayer, motorhead? not many, in my book (i realise we have different tastes). but yeah, i always think it's worth making the effort to try new things and get into different, often more adventurous styles etc. early fates warning, to give an example.

i'd be more inclined to recommend him a bunch of less known USPM, NWOBHM and proto-metal stuff, if he has the humility to take recs from lowly infidels such as us. '70s and '80s trad is a rich enough diet to sustain anyone for a lifetime.
Other bands I like and enjoy:
Liege Lord
Heathen
Laaz Rockit
Agent Steel
Forbidden
Sodom
Coroner
Vio-lence
VIrgin Steele
Girlschool
Warlock
Vicious Rumors
Manilla Road
Crimson Glory
Doomsword
Cirith Ungol
Candlemass
Raven
Exciter
Accept
Diamond Head
Tank
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Lizzy Borden
Twisted Sister
Nitro
Icon
Seduce
Krank
Scorpions
Krokus
TNT
Helloween
Stratovarious
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Rhapsody of Fire
Pegazus
Crystal Viper

How did I imply you or anyone here was a "lowly infidel"?

I can almost hear the furious googling.
Not sure why you're giving me crap. It's not like Pentagram or Sir Lord Baltimore are that underground anyway. I first discovered Pentagram like 7-8 years ago, so...

there's much more and better stuff out there, though. also, it's not like he's a metal dinosaur that never grew past patched denim jackets and mullets. if i read correctly, he started listening to metal in 1999. there's plenty of great non trad stuff to be heard around that time.

like someone else said, it's like he looked up "what metal bands do beginners need to like to seem old school?"
I have an extreme passion for 70's and 80's metal, and I honestly feel that in general, music started to get shitty after 1990. I've held this opinion for many years and I'm sticking to it. I absolutely hate and despise the music that was and still is coming out during my time as a metalhead. Better stuff coming out in 1999 compared to traditional metal? I can't emphasize enough how much I disagree with that on every level.

well, you basically said we have shitty taste and don't truly love/understand the genre :p anyway, neat list. i'm interested in how you feel about the various eras of bathory, from the venom-derived early stuff to the early BM to the clean (but still rough) vocalled viking era.

even if growls are just never gonna be your thing, let's not act like trad metal ended in 1989. obviously there isn't the same ratio of quality that there was in the early-mid '80s and you have to wade through ten times more garbage, but there's still loads of great stuff coming out even now. i already have a pretty solid top 5 of trad stuff for 2016, by the end of the year i'm sure i'll have a strong top 10.

I guess I hadn't realized how much support there would be for harsh vocals in metal. I really don't understand it. I just wish there were more metalheads that felt the way I did.

Yeah, my honest, heartfelt opinion is that it's pretty fucked up.

i'm sure there are plenty. this probably isn't the right board, we're an open-minded and eclectic bunch here. our recent hall of fame vote summarises our collective taste. i stick by my initial point which is that the vocals of sabbath, motorhead etc were the extreme vocals of the time, inasmuch as they would offend the sensibilities of more conservative rock fans, weren't melodic or technical in the traditional way, but instead emphasised the rawness and realness of the music's emotions etc. metal vocalists have merely taken that on board and just pushed it further. i doubt your position sounds any different to us than the sabbath/motorhead-haters will have sounded to their fans back in the day.