Controversial opinions on metal

Screaming for Vengeance is Judas Priest's vision of heavy metal fully realized, and probably my favorite of theirs despite huge love for Stained Class and Sad Wings. Defenders was like the b-sides of that effort, though there were some good songs here and there.

Defenders is much stronger than that, but alright. I honestly feel like Screaming was more of a lead up to Defenders, but you could reverse it I suppose.

Screaming for Vengeance is Judas Priest's vision of heavy metal fully realized, and probably my favorite of theirs despite huge love for Stained Class and Sad Wings. Defenders was like the b-sides of that effort, though there were some good songs here and there.

Fully agree with all of this.

Maybe not so much anymore but Under the Blade, You Can't Stop Rock n Roll and Stay Hungry are stone cold classics.
Agreed. Plus their live show was a superlative display of unbelievable energy and power. Sadly, they seem to be the subject of a peculiar and intense abundance of vitriol from what I've seen.

Reactions: suckerleaf
I'm a big fan of Welcome to Hell and Black Metal but I've not bothered with much else from Venom.

Not sure if this is controversial, but I think Suffocation's best work is the Human Waste EP. It has a much dirtier production than the rest of their stuff, which I usually look for in death metal. I can still appreciate Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced From Within, but I rarely, if ever listen to them.

Personally my favourite Venom album is At War With Satan.
Possessed is okay too.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I like Venom, but I have actually heard more covers of their work by other bands that I like than their original songs.

Considering they invented black metal and their first three albums are masterpiece classics? They're far better than the vast majority of metal bands.

Reactions: CiG
They could barely play. Abaddon was like the worst drummer ever. First three are definitely classic though. They were absolutely the most evil thing I'd ever been exposed to when I was about 13.

Have you heard the Hellhammer demos? They are even worse sounding but that is what makes them good. Tom G. Warrior and Martin just picked up instruments and started writing right there.

Also, I find Bathory's early stuff more interesting than Venom's.

Venom more than made up for their technical limitations with style, energy and playing specifically to their limited strengths as songwriters and musicians. They're also far from the worst metal musicians ever from a technical perspective. Their lack of ability is greatly overstated.

Yoda literally said that the poor production quality is what makes the Hellhammer demos good. That he finds early Bathory remotely interesting musically further proves the point that, yes, there are adult metalheads that actually think shit production = good music (at least if it was recorded in the early-mid 80s). Black metal is hipster bait, always has been, always will be.

i agree with yoda regarding hellhammer if he means 'worse' in the sense of 'uglier', 'in even poorer taste' etc rather than merely talking about sound quality. the production on those demos is both fitting and listenable anyway so w/e.

Reactions: The Butt and Omni
Yoda literally said that the poor production quality is what makes the Hellhammer demos good. That he finds early Bathory remotely interesting musically further proves the point that, yes, there are adult metalheads that actually think shit production = good music (at least if it was recorded in the early-mid 80s). Black metal is hipster bait, always has been, always will be.

So what? Tons of things attract hipsters, doesn't make them bad. Tight pants attract hipsters so I guess everyone should wear baggy pants from now on.