Controversial opinions on metal

I've listened to almost no 90s Motorhead but I'm tempted to pick an album randomly just to say how bad it is because I have a hard time imagining Motorhead being that consistent even though I have no basis to say they aren't (except that I think the weaker tracks on their best albums are far below the worst on Maiden's best albums).

90s Motörhead? Listen to Sacrifice and Bastards and preprare to headbang till your neck comes off. Sacrifice is easily one of the best thrash metal records ever made (at least in my entirely unhumble opinion).

Last edited:
Even the other 90s Motörhead albums aren't bad, Overnight Sensation, 1916, and Snake Bite Love still kick ass, March Ör Die being the only "meh" album I've heard in the Motörhead discography other than Hammered.

Last edited:
OK, just finished listening to Sacrifice. I guess the thing is, yeah, almost nothing in the history of metal goes as low as Maiden did with Virtual XI, and I'm sure Lemmy never wrote a nine minute song where he repeats a chorus for half the duration, so fair enough. Still, after the first two songs some of these riffs sound like poor grunge riffs. This isn't bad, and I know just one listen isn't good to judge things, but I dunno, a band coasting on a similar sound for decades with the occasional contemporary rock/metal bit thrown in isn't the good kind of consistency. I'd rather have Maiden's new stuff where they write great songs alongside the garbage (although the title track sounds pretty damn excellent here).

Some of Dee's drumming is fucking insane on this thing though, like he's doing straight-up tech-metal stuff at points that I can't follow at all, loving that. For that alone I'm going to start exploring more of these albums.

March or Die was the worst thing I found in their discog, like it made me laugh it was so bad. although I skipped some of their later stuff, Most of their albums are consistently decent to good.

Motorhead and Iron Maiden are comparable because they're both massively influential British bands in the realm of heavy metal. Same with Venom, Saxon and any other massively influential British metal band.

And here we go with another 'What is the best Iron Maiden album?' argument for the 20th time in the thread. I need to close this piece of shit and start a new one with some rules..
Don't screw with the single best thread on the boards please.

Also if you don't like Venom you're gay.

Reactions: CiG
OK, just finished listening to Sacrifice. I guess the thing is, yeah, almost nothing in the history of metal goes as low as Maiden did with Virtual XI, and I'm sure Lemmy never wrote a nine minute song where he repeats a chorus for half the duration, so fair enough. Still, after the first two songs some of these riffs sound like poor grunge riffs. This isn't bad, and I know just one listen isn't good to judge things, but I dunno, a band coasting on a similar sound for decades with the occasional contemporary rock/metal bit thrown in isn't the good kind of consistency. I'd rather have Maiden's new stuff where they write great songs alongside the garbage (although the title track sounds pretty damn excellent here).

Some of Dee's drumming is fucking insane on this thing though, like he's doing straight-up tech-metal stuff at points that I can't follow at all, loving that. For that alone I'm going to start exploring more of these albums.
Considering they played blues metal, punk rock, speed metal, thrash metal, blues, rockabilly (never quite full on, but they would mix it with more metallic stuff, and still manage to make it sound absolutely amazing, which you probably heard on Don't Waste Your Time, or I guess if you look at Lemmy's bass work in general), and even prog metal (Another Perfect Day and some parts of Orgasmatron), I don't know how in the ever-loving daylights you came to the conclusion that Motörhead was simply "coasting on a similar sound for decades with the occasional contemporary rock/metal bit thrown in". War For War is the only song I can think of where the riff sounds even remotely "grunge" so I'm not sure what you're referring to beyond that. And Maiden was on a multi-album streak of making 90 percent of it pseudo-prog chorus masturbation filler songs until The Book of Souls showed up. If I want a mindless Gregorian chant over good music, I'll turn on a pop radio station. From Dance of Death to The Final Frontier I still can hardly find a single song I like. So Maiden has been doing almost anything but "writing great songs alongside the garbage" for quite some time now. And even when they do write a not so bad number alongside the nonsense, the album is hardly worth my money by that point when most of the songs are crap. I expect more than two good songs off a 10 track album.

Last edited:
Overnight Sensation is great actually. Have you heard their newest album Bad Magic? Quite a nice swansong for Lemmy.
I've heard it all right. Absolutely thunderous closing note (or rather furious barrage of double digit decibel, closing notes) for a band and that man. Couldn't be more poignant that When The Sky Comes Looking For You was their final single.

Last edited: