Controversial opinions on metal

I'm a big fan of Welcome to Hell and Black Metal but I've not bothered with much else from Venom.

Not sure if this is controversial, but I think Suffocation's best work is the Human Waste EP. It has a much dirtier production than the rest of their stuff, which I usually look for in death metal. I can still appreciate Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced From Within, but I rarely, if ever listen to them.

Reactions: Omni
I'm a big fan of Welcome to Hell and Black Metal but I've not bothered with much else from Venom.

Not sure if this is controversial, but I think Suffocation's best work is the Human Waste EP. It has a much dirtier production than the rest of their stuff, which I usually look for in death metal. I can still appreciate Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced From Within, but I rarely, if ever listen to them.
You should try some more Venom then. At War With Satan and Metal Black are absolutely epic in particular. It's hard to go wrong with them, especially given they invented black metal.

Reactions: CiG
At War with Satan is a good album. They clearly became much less consistent after that one. I would stick to the first three.
I agree they never returned to the absolutely legendary level of Black Metal, At War With Satan, and Welcome to Hell, but they certainly had plenty of good stuff beyond that. I don't expect them to return to how good they did with the first three anyways, that's like expecting Judas Priest to produce another Defenders of The Faith. I wouldn't deprive yourself of so much good music by restricting your listening to simply Venom's first three releases though. That's like only listening to the first four Danzig albums and then ignoring stuff like Deth Red Saboath.

That's a strange album for wanting Judas Priest to reproduce. I like Defenders of the Faith quite a bit, I think it's one of their most consistent post-70s albums. It's nowhere near the quality of Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin or Stained Class, though.

That's a strange album for wanting Judas Priest to reproduce. I like Defenders of the Faith quite a bit, I think it's one of their most consistent post-70s albums. It's nowhere near the quality of Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin or Stained Class, though.
I personally consider it better than Sin After Sin and Stained Class, although not by too much (they're masterpieces or borderline masterpieces after all). I would put Defenders and Sad Wings on pretty much the same level.

That's certainly controversial, not sure how many people here will agree with you.

I agree they never returned to the absolutely legendary level of Black Metal, At War With Satan, and Welcome to Hell, but they certainly had plenty of good stuff beyond that. I don't expect them to return to how good they did with the first three anyways, that's like expecting Judas Priest to produce another Defenders of The Faith. I wouldn't deprive yourself of so much good music by restricting your listening to simply Venom's first three releases though. That's like only listening to the first four Danzig albums and then ignoring stuff like Deth Red Saboath.

It's called quality control. If what Omni is saying about their later albums being less consistent is true, then I'd rather not be sifting through them to find which tracks are worthwhile. There are too many consistently good/great albums to be listening to or finding to bother with this imo. Although at some point I will check them out to see if I'm missing anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omni

This makes it sound like Defenders of the Faith is the height of Judas Priest. That's just wrong.

That's certainly controversial, not sure how many people here will agree with you.

It's called quality control. If what Omni is saying about their later albums being less consistent is true, then I'd rather not be sifting through them to find which tracks are worthwhile. There are too many consistently good/great albums to be listening to or finding to bother with this imo. Although at some point I will check them out to see if I'm missing anything.
Quality control would be not listening to an album because it's bad. Not listening to a wonderfully good album simply because it isn't a masterpiece or borderline masterpiece is simply ignoring good music for not being the best.

First half of Defenders is cool. Second half makes me want to listen to Painkiller instead, which is my favorite post 70s album by far.

It depends on what you're looking for at that point, Painkiller is what you listen to if you want an all out fercious assault, Defenders is nearly as good, just with more melody and exploration of Priest's "softer" side, assuming you feel comfortable describing stuff like Some Heads Are Gonna Roll as "soft".

Damn , there's someone elseout there that likes Deth Red Saboath?!

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft