Controversial opinions on metal

Not really. They booth have strong roots in the NWOBHM, they both fuse a lot of punk elements into their sound, they're both top tier metal bands, etc.

Yes, but:

sounds nothing like

Motorhead is pretty damn samey throughout their entire catalog (not necessarily bad because I like other bands that are the same way). Iron Maiden switched up their sound and it is still samey for a period, but sounds nothing like Motorhead.

There may be a better argument for Iron Maiden's first few being like Motorhead's albums though.

Of course Wasted Years sounds nothing like the title track of Iron Fist. But in terms of the core roots of them both as bands? There's definitely strong enough parallels to compare them. And even when they sound nothing alike, you can still compare the two in terms of the quality of each piece. As for Motörhead's catalog being "pretty damn samey", I have only this to say:

Skip to 1:43.

Reactions: RedStorm
SSotSS is also valuable. Fear of the Dark is one of their worst albums, this name shouldn't even be mentioned here. Mostly garbage album, there are too many fillers and an abomination.

Reactions: CiG
And here we go with another 'What is the best Iron Maiden album?' argument for the 20th time in the thread. I need to close this piece of shit and start a new one with some rules..

The punk influence on early Iron Maiden is really overstated anyways. It has a street attitude and I think Paul Di'Anno was into some punk stuff himself, but Steve Harris himself detested it (he canceled gigs in the 70s upon discovering he's be playing with punk bands) and only a few songs on the first album even vaguely resemble punk (their eponymous, Sanctuary, and Running Free, and I'd say that last one is a massive stretch anyways). Although it is interesting that the first Iron Maiden song ever, Burning Ambition, sounds like a punk song.

But regardless, even the S/T sounds nothing like anything I've heard of Motorhead, let alone anything released after.

SSotSS is also valuable. Fear of the Dark is one of their worst albums, this name shouldn't even be mentioned here. Mostly garbage album, there are too many fillers and an abomination.
It just so happens I feel the same way about The Number of The Beast and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I didn't really find Fear of The Dark to have much filler. If anything it's infinitely more musically dynamic than SSotSS which favors an agonizing amount of endless, gratuitous chorus repeats in place of interesting musicality. I don't have an issue with a band being proggy, but there's a fine line between an incessant meandering chant and being proggy.

Last edited:
The punk influence on early Iron Maiden is really overstated anyways. It has a street attitude and I think Paul Di'Anno was into some punk stuff himself, but Steve Harris himself detested it (he canceled gigs in the 70s upon discovering he's be playing with punk bands) and only a few songs on the first album even vaguely resemble punk (their eponymous, Sanctuary, and Running Free, and I'd say that last one is a massive stretch anyways). Although it is interesting that the first Iron Maiden song ever, Burning Ambition, sounds like a punk song.

But regardless, even the S/T sounds nothing like anything I've heard of Motorhead, let alone anything released after.
To me Motörhead and Maiden both embodied some core elements of punk, but in their own way. For Maiden it was in the raw, primal growls and shrieks of Di'Anno, the raw fury of the instrumentation, etc. And if you listen to and watch the late 70s live gigs from Maiden? They look and sound incredibly punk-ish. For Motörhead it was the DIY, no bullshit attitude, ferocious musical and instrumental velocity, etc.