Controversial opinions on metal

I have honestly never seen these people. I guess they don't go to thrash shows? Or maybe I don't label people hipsters because they have some big glasses or some crap.

You guys have a completely different definition of hipster than myself and wikipedia.

Ne Obliviscaris is basically classical music/metal nerd music rolled into one. It's for musicians and is forward thinking imo. Even if you're right and hipsters like it idgaf, I still like them. It's like saying I can't like this Stone IPA because it's hipster approved.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
You know what's funny though. If being image-concious is what makes you hipster, then those fucks not listening to Ne Obliviscaris because they don't want to be associated with hipsters are being image-concious about it, and therefore being hipsters. ;)

I don't listen to them because I think they don't sound enjoyable.

Reactions: The Butt
Where should I start with them?

Dunno, I'm not their biggest fan, just an occasional-play band for me. I think many would recommend Holy Land or Temple of Shadows, but Rebirth is my favorite of what I know. Skip the first one at least, not bad but kind of dry and generic compared to their later stuff.

A lot of factors to take into consideration with image as with fans. Look at the folk on here for example, it seems we're all concerned with some kindve image or at the least project one whether we like it or not.

Seriously show me one hipster that listens to Ne Obliviscaris or one Starbucks that plays it. Full of shit. Hipsters listen to shitty indie rock bs with banjos.

There were tons of hipsters at the show when I saw them live. That being said, I enjoy NeO immensely. I didn't want to listen to anything but Citadel when I first got it and when I play it now I just want to put it on repeat. Phenomenal album.

In other news, I helped Omni win an argument.

edit: re: Angra

I have the first two albums and I'm not sold on the band.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure almost no one will agree with me on this, but "Jama Pekel" has always been one of my least favourite tracks on Master's Hammer's Ritual.

That's the only song on the album I'd call crappy, yeah.

EDIT: Checking RYM it's also rated significantly lower than any other song on the album, so I don't think it's controversial. Very one-dimensional and boring.

I think it's the most well-known and iconic song and the most accessible, but not the best.