Controversial opinions on metal

id actually love some recommendations of actual modern forward-thinking metal that isn't just a bunch of superficial genre approximations tacked together hipster-style. i'm not sure those exist tho

Reactions: Phylactery
I don't have to be in order to know that isn't what he was looking for. He and I have pretty similar music taste and sensibilities overall. Besides, Ne Obliviscaris is far from unknown. Everyone here has heard them.

I don't have to be in order to know that isn't what he was looking for. He and I have pretty similar music taste and sensibilities overall. Besides, Ne Obliviscaris is far from unknown. Everyone here has heard them.

Doesn't matter if he knows them or not. It's an example of a forward thinking metal band that is doing things differently without being hipster imo.

Ne Obliviscaris is definitely Starbucks metal. First album was interesting. Second was yuck. Speaking of which, anyone want the rarest vinyl variant of the second album? Has a seam split because SoM doesn't ship their records well, but I'll give you a good deal on it, lol.

Reactions: The Butt
Seriously show me one hipster that listens to Ne Obliviscaris or one Starbucks that plays it. Full of shit. Hipsters listen to shitty indie rock bs with banjos.

How about you let no country for old wainds reply to my comment on his post yeah? Why are you butting in here sis?

It's not fucking hipster.

I've actually seen metal hipsters in real life that were wearing their shirts.

I've actually seen metal hipsters in real life that were wearing their shirts.

I don't even know how you can have a 'metal hipster' in the first place. How do you define that? Metal is the antithesis of hip in the modern world.

Not only that you can't find a Ne Obliviscaris shirt at a fucking vintage or thrift store. And i've never seen one metalhead with those gay ass moustaches etc etc

1zgvz90.jpg

Seriously show me one hipster that listens to Ne Obliviscaris or one Starbucks that plays it. Full of shit. Hipsters listen to shitty indie rock bs with banjos.

You grind goofy axes. They're right there with Agalloch, Deafheaven, "cascadian black metal" or other post rock/shoegaze/progressive whatever masquerading as black metal.

I mean I actually like some of the stuff but it is what it is.

Is Ne Obliviscaris even black metal? I thought they were thought of more as an "extreme prog metal" kind of thing. I think what I heard of them was ok, but I don't remember any black metal background being essential to their apparently forward-thinking existence. tbh I didn't think of them being hipster either, I thought they were more fedora-approved aka the new Opeth or whatever.

EDIT: Listening to bits of 'And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope' on YouTube right now, there's a tiny bit of black metal but just as much prog metal chugging. The drumming isn't very black metal either. Neither are these guitar solos. This is listenable to me, but I don't hear much black metal here.