Controversial opinions on metal

I think most people like Holy Diver and The Last in Line even if they don't consider them to be on par with the Rainbow and Sabbath albums. Dio's career is still pretty consistent, and I happen to consider Killing the Dragon to be nearly his best solo album, but I think it's pretty clear that nothing he did in the 90s has that stand-out factor like the classics do. Like, Strange Highways, pretty darn solid album actually, but the earlier stuff was easily better.

EDIT: The more I think about it, people are actually pretty tolerant of older bands doing new stuff. On the greater scale of things, bands like Symphony X and Kamelot are loved for their relatively newer material while their older stuff is forgotten. Lots of Megadeth fans out there that appreciate most of what he's done in the 2000s. I don't hear "only the first album was good" when it comes to death metal bands like Dismember, Immolation, Asphyx, Bolt Thrower, etc with longer consistent discographies. Most people would put Maiden's 90s stuff far below their reunion stuff. Etcetcetc.

I think most people like Holy Diver and The Last in Line even if they don't consider them to be on par with the Rainbow and Sabbath albums. Dio's career is still pretty consistent, and I happen to consider Killing the Dragon to be nearly his best solo album, but I think it's pretty clear that nothing he did in the 90s has that stand-out factor like the classics do. Like, Strange Highways, pretty darn solid album actually, but the earlier stuff was easily better.

EDIT: The more I think about it, people are actually pretty tolerant of older bands doing new stuff. On the greater scale of things, bands like Symphony X and Kamelot are loved for their relatively newer material while their older stuff is forgotten. Lots of Megadeth fans out there that appreciate most of what he's done in the 2000s. I don't hear "only the first album was good" when it comes to death metal bands like Dismember, Immolation, Asphyx, Bolt Thrower, etc with longer consistent discographies. Most people would put Maiden's 90s stuff far below their reunion stuff. Etcetcetc.

I agree Dio was absolutely consistent, I would add not recognized enough for his excellent solo career. The only album I had a hard time getting into was Master of the Moon, which at that point he was pretty old. But he had waaaaay more than 2 (Holy Diver, Last in Line) or even 4 good albums as you mentioned.

IRT Symphony X, I still visit the Symphony X boards on UM here from time to time. The fans are pretty much spread across the board. There are those who prefer their old sound which was more symphonic, and those that prefer their new, more metal sound.

I don't know a damn thing about Kamelot other than it's basically an even more cheesy and less good version of SX

Well, after being in here for a little, I feel that this probably isn't the right place for me. I'm looking for other metalheads who share my views, and they certainly aren't here. I'm looking for people who are devoted to keeping true, traditional metal alive, and who will stand by me in my view that more clean singing is needed in the metal world. It's very important to me. Heavy metal is like a religion to me, and it's something I'm willing to fight for. It seems I'll have to look elsewhere for others who share my taste in music.

So, in other words, you're taking your ball and going home?

I just don't get that guy. I , for the most part, prefer cleaner vocals as well but wnen you come to a metal discussion forum and basically trash extreme metal and make inconsistent and basically invalid arguments what exactly are you expecting? Lame o........

Reactions: Baroque
Controversial Opinion: Black metal is a dead-end in music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you care to elaborate on why exactly you feel that way? Black metal has probably shown more potential to move in new directions than a lot of other metal.

Fine, I'll augment what I said:

Controversial Opinion: Black metal is a dead-end in good music.

In all seriousness though, I can't take anyone's opinions on metal or music seriously if they try to have such a limited opinion like that, because of all of the variety and possibility that black metal has as a genre.

It's one of the few metal styles that still has albums coming out that do new things rather than just sticking to what's been done to death. There are a lot of albums that don't reinvent the wheel too, but that's just like any other style of music.

God damn it!
You just got me to sit through 20 minutes of watching The Big Lebowski scenes. I'm supposed to be fucking working!

Well maneuvered Omni, well maneuvered!

Reactions: Omni
I can't take anyone's opinions on metal or music seriously if they try to have such a limited opinion like that,

I agree. just like when people say 'its produced so well, the music has to be shit'

imo, the entire concept of "potential" in a given style of music is bullshit. There are active trends, and there are dying trends. Black metal has strong crossover appeal to non-metal markets and hipster crowds, and so you find more bands taking it different places. There's little inherent to black metal's musical qualities that allows more musical breadth, however.

Like, someone show me some new black metal taking things in new, exciting directions without playing blackened ambient folkgaze.

Like, someone show me some new black metal taking things in new, exciting directions without playing blackened ambient folkgaze.

There's no reason to actually do this, because you'll automatically try to say that it isn't real metal.