Controversial opinions on metal

Lol there are alot of people here who share alot of your taste, so I don't think you will have any problems getting new recs you will like and discussing your favourite bands. If you are looking for people to shit on harsh vocals together with, then you are probably right to move on.

Last edited:
Well, after being in here for a little, I feel that this probably isn't the right place for me. I'm looking for other metalheads who share my views, and they certainly aren't here. I'm looking for people who are devoted to keeping true, traditional metal alive, and who will stand by me in my view that more clean singing is needed in the metal world. It's very important to me. Heavy metal is like a religion to me, and it's something I'm willing to fight for. It seems I'll have to look elsewhere for others who share my taste in music.

Thanks for sharing.

Sabotage is my favorite. The Writ is easily one of their best songs.

And After Forever is a great song. Most of the flack it receives is because of the lyrics
Sabotage or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath for me. I believe those two are their creative peak.

the weirdest part of all this is that we have devoted traditional metal threads where we're constantly posting great new 'true' traditional metal, and this guy hasn't posted in any of those threads even once. too busy grinding his axe, i suppose. his loss.

Plus there's the old-school subforum.

Reactions: The Butt
"Band X started to suck after their first 4"
"I can only listen to their first 2"
"Their first demo is the shit, everything else is vntrve"

"I can't listen to Michael Jackson post-Thriller"
"Only Jackson 5 is real"
"IT'S ALL ABOUT ABC, 123"

Sometimes the first few albums are indeed all you need from a band. The whole completist "every album has at least something of worth" mentality is dumb.

I only listen to albums in their entirety anymore, so there's no real incentive for me to bother with albums that supposedly contain one or two decent songs among a bunch of mediocre and uninspired material. The majority of bands run out of steam after a few albums.

It's an excuse to be close minded and not even attempt listening to newer albums
It's an excuse to try and fit in with some kind of cult 'in crowd'
It's an excuse to basically listen to kindergarten versions of bands, bands that haven't fully developed their sound yet

It's like people noticed a lot of bands started to suck in the mid 90's because of the musical climate, and said "this musts applie to every metal band evar" which is simply false

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
It's an excuse to be close minded and not even attempt listening to newer albums
It's an excuse to basically listen to kindergarten versions of bands, bands that haven't fully developed their sound yet

It's like people noticed a lot of bands started to suck in the mid 90's because of the musical climate, and said "this musts applie to every metal band evar" which is simply false

this all sounds pretty presumptuous to me, particularly given that it's true a ridiculous and annoying amount of the time.

i was gonna say in whichever thread we were discussing them that averse sefira are the rare case of a band who got better as they went along.

Or the mindset that a band should've changed their name after a certain point because the sound is completely different than their first few albums (see: Amorphis/Katatonia). I'm sure they are exaggerating, but it annoys the shit out of me sometimes.

Reactions: suckerleaf

There are a lot of bands that are well-recognized here as having good albums throughout their entire discography, so this is a pretty baseless post. That doesn't change the fact that nearly all bands run out of creativity within their first few albums or change musical direction to attract a different demographic, both of which are valid reasons not to like a band's newer music while enjoying their earlier albums.

Like, give a specific example or two where you think a band has later material unfairly ignored/dismissed. It's a simple reality that most artists eventually lose inspiration and start self-plagiarizing or trying new things that suck.

Reactions: Phylactery

I agree with everything here.

ABC, 123 is better than most things he did after Thriller. Better than the majority of Thriller itself, actually.

:erk:

Opinion:
0006729796_10.jpg

This album is better then any music you have posted