Controversial opinions on metal

People complain about HBBs railing on black metal but maybe if people stopped responding to it he would quit it? Just a thought..

As a mod I find it strange you always side with the people that are being inflammatory. I don't mind HBB or TNB at all but to constantly tell people to ignore them is missing the point I think.

Reactions: RedStorm and Omni
Bathory and Celtic Frost left black metal behind at the exact same time they decided to polish their production sound and also we've already established that first wave black metal is very different band to band, in fact you yourself excluded them as potential examples by stating that they are basically evil sounding [insert other genre here].

Essentially what you're arguing is:

Black metal bands using production to create atmosphere = aesthetic choice.

Thrash metal bands using production to improve sound =/= aesthetic choice.

That makes little sense to me, as a cleaner, technically improved sound is still an aesthetic goal.

aes·thet·ic
esˈTHedik/
adjective
adjective: aesthetic; adjective: esthetic

concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.
"the pictures give great aesthetic pleasure"
giving or designed to give pleasure through beauty; of pleasing appearance.
synonyms: artistic, tasteful, in good taste; More
graceful, elegant, exquisite, beautiful, attractive, pleasing, lovely
"several aesthetic gardens radiate from the fountain in the square"

noun
noun: aesthetic; plural noun: aesthetics; noun: esthetic; plural noun: esthetics

a set of principles underlying and guiding the work of a particular artist or artistic movement.
"the Cubist aesthetic"

I'm arguing that thrash production is generally more functional than aesthetic. For most bands, it is used to emphasize the most important aspects of the style (crunchy riffs and intense drumming up front), but afaik they don't do it because they believe there is an intrinsic artistic message being conveyed in their production. That is in massive contrast to black metal.

I'm saying that if you go beyond the first-wave which is often hard to separate from thrash metal, the difference is obvious. I'm not contradicting myself when I say that first-wave black metal is defined largely due to aesthetic and image, and at the same time that it's musically built on trad/speed/thrash ideas. However, it was basically just a single unifying aesthetic (super raw recording quality), started by Venom and continued from there. For some bands like early Sodom and Kreator, poor recording quality was more an artifact of their intense musical performance and no ability to record it with clarity. This means they naturally had an aesthetic overlap with early black metal and were in fact considered part of that scene.[/i][/i]

I mostly enjoy black metal on account of the musical soundscapes, especially in the instrumentation. It's like a ceaseless barrage of barely contained, swaying fury backed by a wailing monster of a vocalist and a 20mm auto cannon for drums. When you add strong and quality melodies to it, like with Gorgoroth's early stuff, it can honestly become a thing of epic majesty in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phylactery
I like to listen to a lot of space black metal. The instrumentation usually isn't impressive and the vocals are usual decent enough to listen to. For me its the atmosphere that the music creates

I fucking LOVE Rammstein. Best lyrics and one of the few bands whose music is actual art.

...does this pass as controversial around here :) ?

there are few less samey bands in metal history than early slayer, who changed pretty dramatically from album to album for a while. so i'm gonna go ahead and assume you're talking about more recently.

Reactions: Phylactery
there are few less samey bands in metal history than early slayer, who changed pretty dramatically from album to album for a while. so i'm gonna go ahead and assume you're talking about more recently.

This. Slayer's first 4 albums are rather different from each other. It wasn't until Seasons... that they started rehashing things they'd already done, it sounds like a mix of the previous 2 albums. So you'll have to explain yourself Redstorm, especially since you also gave "Reborn" a 9/10 in the Mixtape game. Okay, you've now edited it to 0/10, wtf?

My controversial opinion is that, as great as Reign in Blood is, it's not a 10/10 album. I just can't put it on the same level as Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG and Omni
It is controversial most places not named Ultimate Metal. That being said I'm a broken record when it comes to me saying Show No Mercy is one of my favorite all time metal albums, top ten easily, and the only one resembling extreme metal in the top ten.

Reactions: EternalMetal
It is controversial most places not named Ultimate Metal. That being said I'm a broken record when it comes to me saying Show No Mercy is one of my favorite all time metal albums, top ten easily, and the only one resembling extreme metal in the top ten.

You obviously need to change that to Hell Awaits. I wasn't sure what the consensus here is on Slayer, but a lot of places consider Reign in Blood to be their best and I simply do not.