Controversial opinions on metal

Show no Mercy is my fav as well. Though I objectively feel like Hell Awaits is Slayer at their most dynamic and songwriting peak, Show no Mercy is just one of those albums with tons of style that makes my spine tingle like every time I listen to it. Reign in Blood is it's own monster and I love it nearly as much as the other two.

Slayer havent released anything since that I like. I honestly dont see what people like so much about South of Heaven either.

I think one of those "song survivor" threads for Reign in Blood might be cool. I mean I'm almost certain we'd be left with "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood" at the end, but it'd be interesting to see which of those songs in between posters prefer. "Altar of Sacrifice" is probably my favourite.

I think one of those "song survivor" threads for Reign in Blood might be cool. I mean I'm almost certain we'd be left with "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood" at the end, but it'd be interesting to see which of those songs in between posters prefer. "Altar of Sacrifice" is probably my favourite.

"Epidemic" is my choice.

Reactions: Phylactery
i think of RiB as basically one long song anyway, but if you count the end of 'postmortem' as part of it (i totes do) then 'raining blood' is IMO the band's peak, the sub-genre's peak and a candidate for metal's peak. 'at dawn they sleep' pushes it close though. i've said more about this topic in my latest set of mixtape ratings, not done yet tho

I agree actually the old tape I have floating around I guess due to the length, the album fits nicely on one side. It was quite an exhausting 30 odd minutes in its day.

Depends on what you mean by "best lyrics" and "one of the few bands whose music is actual art".

I thought Rammstein wasn't considered "proper" metal by most people around here in first place, but I was judging by a thread I found a while ago, so I might be wrong :-/.

Lyric-wise, Rammstein are just unreal. I know that it's hard to appreciate unless one speaks German, but the selection of words, the way the lyrics build up, the double entendres, just magnificent. The singer's books are great as well. Combined with the stage show and the authenticity (hell, who makes a hole in their cheek just to lead a cable through it to power a small light bulb in their mouth for a visual effect in a music video?), it's one of the few things where I feel like I get a complete "experience" instead of just a bunch of guys playing music.

Last edited:
Deathcore is both heavier and more catchy than average death metal

tumblr_lkaykmgjgh1qi12x0o1_250.gif

aes·thet·ic
esˈTHedik/
adjective
adjective: aesthetic; adjective: esthetic

concerned with beauty or the appreciation of beauty.
"the pictures give great aesthetic pleasure"
giving or designed to give pleasure through beauty; of pleasing appearance.
synonyms: artistic, tasteful, in good taste; More
graceful, elegant, exquisite, beautiful, attractive, pleasing, lovely
"several aesthetic gardens radiate from the fountain in the square"

noun
noun: aesthetic; plural noun: aesthetics; noun: esthetic; plural noun: esthetics

a set of principles underlying and guiding the work of a particular artist or artistic movement.
"the Cubist aesthetic"

I'm arguing that thrash production is generally more functional than aesthetic. For most bands, it is used to emphasize the most important aspects of the style (crunchy riffs and intense drumming up front), but afaik they don't do it because they believe there is an intrinsic artistic message being conveyed in their production. That is in massive contrast to black metal.

I'm saying that if you go beyond the first-wave which is often hard to separate from thrash metal, the difference is obvious. I'm not contradicting myself when I say that first-wave black metal is defined largely due to aesthetic and image, and at the same time that it's musically built on trad/speed/thrash ideas. However, it was basically just a single unifying aesthetic (super raw recording quality), started by Venom and continued from there. For some bands like early Sodom and Kreator, poor recording quality was more an artifact of their intense musical performance and no ability to record it with clarity. This means they naturally had an aesthetic overlap with early black metal and were in fact considered part of that scene.[/i][/i]

This is getting out of hand.

For me the fundamental point is this:

In thrash metal, fans and musicians are less likely to criticise production values that go beyond "raw" whereas in black metal it would be seen as quite controversial and in many cases off-putting to have production values that go beyond "raw" and as a result you have much more narrowly accepted production styles within black metal and therefore by default a much greater myriad of production styles in thrash metal.

From underground throwback thrash to black thrash to death thrash to technical thrash to modern thrash etc and each one of these subgenres allow for much more open-mindedness when it comes to how they're produced because thrash metal has no historically preferred production style.

I thought Rammstein wasn't considered "proper" metal by most people around here

They're not, but that in itself doesn't make Rammstein a bad band.

Reactions: The Butt
deathcore sounds more brutal and pissed off than regular death metal. it is possible to like both, you know

Last edited:
deathcore has a lot of death-related songs and they sound more angry and determined to inflict it tho