Controversial opinions on metal

I understand the problems with Practice What You Preach and Souls of Black, but I think both albums are being underrated here. They have some good tracks, as well as some sick moments coming from each member.

I understand the problems with Practice What You Preach and Souls of Black, but I think both albums are being underrated here. They have some good tracks, as well as some sick moments coming from each member.

I haven't listened to these much relative to the ones I listed above. I'll give them a spin this week and respond.

Those albums are just too safe and blah. It's basically the social consciousness-period Anthrax problem. That's my least favorite kind of thrash.

Reactions: CiG
Those albums are just too safe and blah. It's basically the social consciousness-period Anthrax problem. That's my least favorite kind of thrash.

Its hard to mount a defense against that argument. I still think there are some gems in there:

"Envy Life"
"Greenhouse Effect"
"Sins of Omission" < Not very safe
"The Ballad"
"Malpractice"
"The Legacy"
"Seven Days of May"

Whether it is Chuck's barking, or Alex's soloing, there's got to be something in there which should appeal to any metalhead.

Last edited:
Sins of Omission is one of the better songs on the album, but I'd put Greenhouse Effect, Envy Life, and The Ballad all at the very bottom of their discography.

Nightmare is my fav actually, it's almost like they wrote a pop-punk song but it really works. I would have liked more selling out in that direction on The Ritual.

I'm going to listen to the Testament debut album sometime this week. I have to admit that I don't have really high expectations for it, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Testament is one of those bands that never really clicked with me. They come across as the poor man's thrash band compared with their contemporaries (just look at how many of their band members attempted to jump ship to better bands), and even at their best have a very straightforward and generic thrash sound. The vast majority of their albums barely pass the threshold of being mediocre. Even The Legacy is missing that "X factor" that elevates the other bands in their scene, and it is definitely their best album. And to top it all off, Chuck Billy's vocals are really boring.

I've now listened to The Legacy in its entirety. I'll say it's a decent album but definitely not an exceptional one. It's a solid enough piece of thrash with heavy Metallica influence. Unfortunately, I didn't think that the songs ever achieved anything above just being good and I have to say that I find Chuck Billy's vocals kind of annoying at times on this album.

I'll definitely stick to Breaking the Silence over this album, although it's not bad. I don't see how HamburgerBoy finds them to be inseparably intertwined, because it seems clear to me that Heathen was a more focused band.

Reactions: The Butt