Controversial opinions on metal

I still don't get why Griftegard is ever talked about. People cite them as amazing but i've never seen anyone suggest them in the last 5 years. Comparing them to Warning, Rev Biz or Warning is simply insane to me.

I can barely somber through one song, I think they're garbage (with a fancy a for garbage)

but you said Kodex is doom so I don't think you know what the hell you're talking about

Sure, there's zero doom metal in songs like "Enthroned In Clouds And Fire (The Great Cleansing)" or "Temple Of Katholic Magick."

They're obviously not at all influenced by epic doom metal bands like Scald or Solstice either, even though members have explicitly stated this.

You're acting as if I compared them to Saint Vitus or something.

Influenced =/= are doom metal, but I see you think 2 songs out of 21 over 3 releases makes them 'just as doom as they are heavy.'

*"Just as heavy metal as they are doom metal, if not more."

If you're going to quote me, do it accurately.

But you're right, having doom metal influences obviously = "well they aren't doom at all, so...."

I haven't bought the album, but it seems good. I definitely don't think it's as good or distinctive as Watching from a Distance after listening to the entire album a few times on YouTube.

Controversial Opinion:

... or maybe not, but the second half of Testament's Souls of Black is quite a bit superior to the first half. Might not be some great revelation, but it has taken me years to figure that out.

I don't think enough people like that album for it to be controversial, but I think the first half is a little stronger. There's only three songs I'd call good, and Malpractice is the only one in the second half. Love to Hate is one of their least inspired songs ever as well imo.

I will say that it's still a better album than PWYP, to be controversial.

Souls of Black is okay from what I remember -- it has been a long time since I listened to it. I like 'The New Order' more than most people do.

I honestly don't even remember what Testament sounds like and I don't think that I've heard an entire album by them.