Controversial opinions on metal

Question:

Since we're at it, why is Testament's "The Ballad" seemingly disliked by so many metalheads? I always thought it was a good song. I have not found too many who like "The Legacy" either, and I always thought it was a good showcase for Alex, who is often so acclaimed by metalheads.

Last edited:
Anybody heard new Inquisition? It's lame. I thought most people were bitching for no reason because they signed under Seasons of Mist (untr00 record label), but it barely sounds like them and the song released is pretty generic and boring. Their last album was a step below of what they are capable of but if this is indicative of what the next album is going to sound like then yeah... no bueno.

in case anyone wants to hear.

Anybody heard new Inquisition? It's lame. I thought most people were bitching for no reason because they signed under Seasons of Mist (untr00 record label), but it barely sounds like them and the song released is pretty generic and boring. Their last album was a step below of what they are capable of but if this is indicative of what the next album is going to sound like then yeah... no bueno.

Could it be that the song lacks their sound because the quality of the track is utter shit? Honestly this is radio-quality bitrate, not sure what the hell SoM were thinking when they uploaded it, I cant even get a feel for the guitar tone. This makes it kind of hard to judge at this point, but to me it doesnt sound too far off from what id expect from them. I think ill hold my judgment until I hear a better sample/get the album.

Reactions: RedStorm
Been spinning some veteran power metal acts lately.

I must say, Iced Earth's Glorious Burden is their best. Ripper is so much better than Barlow. Dont understand what Schaeffer ever saw/heard in the guy.

Helloween's mid period (Keeper III, Gamblin', Dark Ride, Better Than Raw, 7 Sinners) are their best and most consistent. The early stuff is good, but more noteworthy for being among the first.

Early Iced Earth is one of the biggest victims of the in-crowd exclusion effect imo. Everyone shits on "muh triplets" but the first three albums have some really strong riffing and melodies, even if Schaffer already had a bit of a trademark going on. I mean, bands like Nocturnus were clearly influenced by Iced Earth as well, and no one complains about them.

Reactions: suckerleaf and CiG