Controversial opinions on metal

The stuff from the upcoming Omen album sounds like it actually has potential to approach Battle Cry imo. Hope it finally comes out this year and that it's all as good as the three or so songs released so far.

Morbosidad isn't worth listening to. Garbage production, every song on every release sound identical, and from what I've read from native Spanish speakers their lyrics apparently don't make much sense which is comical to me. Totally interchangable with Proclamation or Black Witchery.

Nowhere near the level of Archgoat...

I think the LP/EP format is too rigid and limiting to artists.

I dislike that many bands feel the need or are forced to produce filler music just to get up to full album length. If there's only 15 minutes of good music ready, then only release those 15 in my opinion. Or if an album needs to be 2 hours long, let it be 2 hours long.

Also why aren't any album covers circular? Triangular? Etc

Let the method of release fit the art, not try to force the art into a little conformist box.

Isn't that just what an EP is?

I haven't seen a 15 minute EP or an EP with a circular album cover etc. They're all rectangular/square and around 20-30 minutes. Idk, There's filler on some EPs too.

Except a label is involved in decision making 90% of the time so..

Well that's what I'm saying, ideally the labels need to change to fit the artist's needs not the other way around.

Like every 7" ep/single?

It's beyond that. I'm talking about labels basically forcing artists to put out longer albums than are necessary for their art. Or forcing them to put out full length albums at all. Or making their artwork conform to pointless standards. I'm talking about more freedom for the artists to do what they want here, I'm honestly surprised I'm seeing any opposition at all.

For example Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbes felt too limited by the standard comic strip of 3 panels, so he started drawing them all different ways. It changed the comic strip industry for the better.

Reactions: RedStorm
I think the LP/EP format is too rigid and limiting to artists.

I dislike that many bands feel the need or are forced to produce filler music just to get up to full album length. If there's only 15 minutes of good music ready, then only release those 15 in my opinion.
If an EP is defined by a certain minimum playing time (I don't know if this is the case), you could release a maxi-single in this case.

Or if an album needs to be 2 hours long, let it be 2 hours long.
There are albums which are 2 hours long or even longer.

Also why aren't any album covers circular? Triangular? Etc
Probably because this might make storing more difficult. And if we are talking about vinyl, circular cardboard album covers and album sleeves would offer less protection. However, there are vinyl picture discs in unusual shapes.

It's beyond that. I'm talking about labels basically forcing artists to put out longer albums than are necessary for their art. Or forcing them to put out full length albums at all. Or making their artwork conform to pointless standards. I'm talking about more freedom for the artists to do what they want here, I'm honestly surprised I'm seeing any opposition at all.

For example Bill Watterson of Calvin and Hobbes felt too limited by the standard comic strip of 3 panels, so he started drawing them all different ways. It changed the comic strip industry for the better.

There are many artists that do play with creative, boundary pushing concepts with their albums or EPs. Exhumed for example with their saw shaped LPs.