Controversial opinions on metal

Controversial opinion:

A good portion of thrash and speed metal is at least as demonic as death metal. There are some songs from, say Slayer, that are still amongst the most sickest/vilest devil shit out there.

Agreed. Death metal's sheen has been fading on me for a while now tbh. Deicide is a band that has grown on me a lot and I can appreciate the kind of atmosphere they bring, but most others sound increasingly safe and unimaginative. Like Blessed are the Sick, really dull and dry album aside from a few songs, the loss of the whirlwindy and vaguely-black metal riffing from the 80s material really hurts it.

Blessed are the Sick is a fucking masterpiece and Morbid Angel's best album. Works better for me as a full album experience than Altars of Madness, although the latter is still godly. I don't know which songs you're calling dull but I love every song on it. The title track is among the best ever. "World of sickness, blessed are we to taste this life of sin!"

Your thoughts on Blessed... pretty much sum up my feelings on Covenant, an album where I really like half of it, but the other half doesn't do a whole lot for me. The less said about Domination the better.

Last edited:
Abominations and Thy Kingdom Come are the only ones I really like from that album. The Ancient Ones, Unholy Blasphemies, and Fall From Grace put me to sleep.

Speaking of, I think death metal is at it's best when it's just dealing with tongue-in-cheek themes like splatter films, serial killers and all that shit.

Obviously there are many exceptions.

Out of interest, what are your favourite death metal releases? I haven't seen you post too much about the genre.

Speaking of, I think death metal is at it's best when it's just dealing with tongue-in-cheek themes like splatter films, serial killers and all that shit.

Obviously there are many exceptions.

I've been a fan of splatter death metal ala razorback records' early years since my indoctrination into death metal. Guys want to take death metal too serious... but realistically, Impetigo, Mortician, and Necrophagia are just as trve death metal as any band.

Reactions: CiG
Out of interest, what are your favourite death metal releases? I haven't seen you post too much about the genre.

Slowly We Rot, Abominations Of Desolation and Altars Of Madness, Necrophagia's shit right up until like 2001, all Autopsy and Abscess, Soulside Journey, first two Entombed, all Impetigo, Mortician's shit right up until 1999 before the drum machine got out of hand, Luck Of The Corpse and The Blueprints For Madness, Murder Squad, Rottrevore, Dr. Shrinker, Hideous Mangleus, Lobotomized's Norwegian Trash, Derketa, Exhumed, Eaten Back To Life, Doomed, Goatlord, all of Bolt Thrower's shit, all of Nunslaughter's shit, Scream Bloody Gore, Consuming Impulse, Pungent Stench's shit right up until 1994, Repulsion, Blood's Impulse To Destroy, Radiation Sickness, Nuclear Death, Blood Freak, Frightmare, Gruesome Stuff Relish, everything by Sadistik Exekution.

I won't bother going into much new shit, but I would say that's my base of interest in the genre. You'll probably notice a lot of it is death metal + grindcore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phylactery
For someone getting into the genre i would usually point them to early Obituary stuff among others, but i will admit Obituary, despite wicked vocals and a killer guitar tone, bores me, not even going to lie. But i have a fucked up taste in metal so there's that. Having already said Morbid Angel and Obituary don't do much for me, I'm sure i ought to bow outta here soon, but who gives a shit

You have to be in the right frame of mind for Obituary. Sometimes it is exactly what you want/need though. Testimony of the Ancients is a must-have, although it is more hybrid than just a straight death metal album.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I appreciated Obituary more when I used them as working or driving music rather than internet or primary-attention music.