Controversial opinions on metal

I believe in some interviews with fenriz and culto (up on youtube) they even talk about how they used a lot of their older death metal riffs on A blaze... that they just slowed down or reshaped a bit, and it's only on UaFM that every riff is full on black metal (as in, i guess, not old DM riffs squeezing into songs) or whathave you. But this is sort of besides the point and doesn't really matter, because for what it is it's hard or near impossible to not call a blaze... 100% bm, but that is a cool bit of info that i found intriguing as a fan and somewhat musical mind.

Personally i don't care if something is 100% this or that, but a bit of musical history can never hurt and is fun to know at the same time.

Fenriz talks a lot about the death metal riffs on A Blaze in the Northern Sky in the commentary video he does for it. Not sure if you've all seen them, but there are YouTube videos for a lot of Darkthrone albums where the album plays and Fenriz does commentary over them. Interesting stuff.

Here is the one for A Blaze...

The riffs he dislikes in this are some of my favourites.

UAFM

Hunger

There are a few more you can find if you're interested. I haven't found one for Soulside Journey, though.

Last edited:
I believe in some interviews with fenriz and culto (up on youtube) they even talk about how they used a lot of their older death metal riffs on A blaze... that they just slowed down or reshaped a bit, and it's only on UaFM that every riff is full on black metal (as in, i guess, not old DM riffs squeezing into songs) or whathave you. But this is sort of besides the point and doesn't really matter, because for what it is it's hard or near impossible to not call a blaze... 100% bm, but that is a cool bit of info that i found intriguing as a fan and somewhat musical mind..

QFT