Controversial opinions on metal

Blaze may have death metal sections and riffs sprinkled in, but the essence and atmosphere of black metal is there 100%. To call it anything other than such is absurd. So I agree with Yerf as well.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
Goatlord is one of the original prog death metal albums, even if it's raw and potentially recorded in a garage.

Reactions: CiG
No, Crustthrone and Manillathrone and Agenthrone are definitely extensions of their continued mediocrity.

Yeah, at one point he says something like "this is way too fancy, who am I, Neil Peart?" haha. He also talks about trying to drown out some of the riffs he doesn't like by hammering the double bass.

Watching some Fenriz interviews and he mentions he was originally the vocalist for the band. I'm glad Nocturno took over, definitely one of my favourite extreme metal vocalists. Fenriz also comes out with some rather ridiculous things and he isn't particularly articulate. I find his obsession with talking about the 70s and 80s constantly to be tiring.

Last edited:
I'm always getting newer Darkthrone songs stuck in my head, for example "Too Old Too Cold" or "Raised on Rock" or "Those Treasures Will Never Befall You" etc.

This might be a controversial opinion, Defenders Of The Faith is very below average.

I would have agreed in the past, now DOTF is just average-ish for me. Two amazing stand-out songs, a couple more that are varying degrees of good, but completely drops off by its last third, and has the worst drumming of any Holland album. It's below average in their discography, however.

I guess that's what I meant to say, below average in their discography. I re-listened to it the other day and it just dragged and bored me to death. It also seemed so cheesy to the point of not even feeling like a metal record.

I never understood what was supposed to be so great about Some Heads Are Gonna Roll tbh. Yeah, the album just really starts dragging. Night Comes Down is probably their most pathetic ballad too, and the arena rock shit at the end is a total throw-away.