Controversial opinions on metal

Tapping the Vein is my fav Sodom album. I have some old Destruction stuff but I haven't been able to get into it. Never cared much for Kreator either.

The title track is literally a Sacred Reich ripoff. Can you imagine how crappy a band's album is when the title and opening track is a fucking Sacred Reich ripoff? Sodom, beyond their earliest first-wave stuff, is one of the least original and interesting thrash bands around.

I kind of agree with HBB, Sodom is easily the worst of the big German thrash bands, atleast beyond the black metal days. Just sounds bland and boring (with a few exceptions).

Destruction and Kreator is pretty much even for me. I actually like Extreme Aggression more than Pleasure to Kill but that's just as much nostalgia as anything else.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I rate Destruction's EP and debut way above anything else, except In the Sign of Evil which is really close. Expurse of Sodomy is probably the next best thing by Sodom.

Seeing as we're talking about old Teutonic shit I'll take the opportunity to say Iron Angel's Hellish Crossfire kills and is near perfect speed metal.

Necronomicon is like a third-rate Destruction though. That's like saying Metallica is your least favorite of the big four and loving Xentrix.

EDIT: Actually, their first album and Escalation are the ones I heard, and that was like a decade ago. I just decided to listen to Apocalyptic Nightmare on YouTube and while this still sounds just like Destruction, this actually sounds like something I need to give a chance. You still suck for putting Destruction over them, however.

Yeah. The first song on this Necronomicon album, Rhetorical Dictums, is so full of Destruction-style riffing it's ridiculous, but at the same time this kind of riffing is so rare to hear replicated, that I don't care, I'm really enjoying this. Fuck, I'm getting chills hearing a couple riffs in this second song. I take it back. I'm a faggot, you're the best. I'll give Escalation another chance next.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah, some of these riffs are super fucking bizarre, a little bit of that proto-Master's Hammer thing that Living Death has going on for them too, relatively non-aggressive for thrash but oddly melodic and sad sounding at times, the kind of thing I wish black metal turned into. The nice thing about ripping off a band that avoids basic bitch thrash riffing is that it still sounds more original than 90% of other stuff out there. I still think you should relisten to early Destruction if you can't hear some of that same kind of riffing though, I'm hearing Eternal Devastation (my all-time favorite album riff-wise) in this all over the place.

Reactions: CiG