Controversial opinions on metal

Piece of Mind > SSOASS > Powerslave > The Number of the Beast > Somewhere in Time > Killers > Iron Maiden > No Prayer for the Dying > The Final Frontier > A Matter of Life and Death > The X Factor > Brave New World > Dance of Death > Fear of the Dark > Virtual XI > The Book of Souls

SSOASS used to be my favorite, but when I really overplayed all of their albums as a total Maiden fanboy, it was the first I got sick of. The most riffless of their classic albums, something like half of the songs rely on shitty beat-counting riffs (DUH duh duh DUH duh duh DUH duh) or galloping, and the keyboards and fancy leads don't justify it as a supposedly "prog" album. I'd rank it below NPFTD, The X-Factor, and Brave New World in addition to the first six. Really, the only thing consistently great about it is the guitar solos and harmonies. Even songs like Infinite Dreams (the anthem rock "Even though we've reached new heights" section) and the title track (fucking horrible chorus) have significant flaws.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Vegard you need to listen to The Book of Souls again because its far from their worst and the best theyve released in a long fucking time.

Aside from If Eternity Should Fail, it's a pretty bad album. Full of self-plagiarism and over-length. A few decent moments buried in there, but bottom 3 material along with Virtual XI and one other reunion album (Dance of Death or AMOLAD depending on my mood).

There are literally two things I like on The Book of Souls.

1) The opener, which admittedly is totally sick and one of their best revival-era songs.
2) That pre-chorus bit in the title track (By power day and night and death he ruled them...)

I'll give the song (and Bruce Dickinson for writing it) props for ambition, but it's got some flaws. It actually builds reasonably well to start and I like the little Jethro Tull-style melodies in the middle, but other parts like the morse code bits and the overall length work against it. One of the better on the album still.