Controversial opinions on metal

SSOASS used to be my favorite, but when I really overplayed all of their albums as a total Maiden fanboy, it was the first I got sick of. The most riffless of their classic albums, something like half of the songs rely on shitty beat-counting riffs (DUH duh duh DUH duh duh DUH duh) or galloping, and the keyboards and fancy leads don't justify it as a supposedly "prog" album. I'd rank it below NPFTD, The X-Factor, and Brave New World in addition to the first six. Really, the only thing consistently great about it is the guitar solos and harmonies. Even songs like Infinite Dreams (the anthem rock "Even though we've reached new heights" section) and the title track (fucking horrible chorus) have significant flaws.

Oh lord. There are countless great riffs on that album and the "beat counting riffs" are excellent as well. Its their most cohesive and fluid album with the "highest lows," while also having a number of Maiden's greatest compositions.

As for their newest album, I like it decent enough, but Red and the Black is the only great track on the album. Most of the rest is solid if unspectacular.

A riff should contribute to making an interesting or memorable rhythm. A metal song that does not even try to deviate from the beat cannot be said to have a good riff. The Evil That Men Do is among their least interesting songs of the 80s compositionally, and if the Clairvoyant had any fewer riffs it would be a post-death metal Amorphis song.

The Red and the Black is literally one of the worst songs on the new album and is essentially Steve Harris' sequel to The Angel and the Gambler. Enjoy your shitty retarded guitar-vocal melody lockstep.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
A riff should contribute to making an interesting or memorable rhythm. A metal song that does not even try to deviate from the beat cannot be said to have a good riff. The Evil That Men Do is among their least interesting songs of the 80s compositionally, and if the Clairvoyant had any fewer riffs it would be a post-death metal Amorphis song.

The Red and the Black is literally one of the worst songs on the new album and is essentially Steve Harris' sequel to The Angel and the Gambler. Enjoy your shitty retarded guitar-vocal melody lockstep.

Its really not worth arguing with you, since you're one of the people's whose taste in music I respect the least.

Best album Stanne was on was In Flames' debut. Which is also In Flames' only good album.
For the most part IF blows but that debut is pretty enjoyable. Probably superior to any DT album, but I haven't made up my mind totally on that yet.

Best album Stanne was on was In Flames' debut. Which is also In Flames' only good album.
For the most part IF blows but that debut is pretty enjoyable. Probably superior to any DT album, but I haven't made up my mind totally on that yet.

Skydancer is easily better than anything by In Flames.

Yeah I don't think it's a classic, but it's an album I'll give a spin once in a while and mostly enjoy it.

Far Away from the Sun and The Red in the Sky is Ours are far superior to anything else I've heard from Gothenburg, not sure if that's controversial.

There is some other great stuff from there though, like Runemagick, Liers in Wait, Nastrond and Niden Div.187.